Photo Of Ibiza Engine Needed Please!

pyjamadrama

Hi guys & girls;
I need a particular replacement part, a hose pipe about 1" dia that connects up to something near the Air Filter and it also seems to go into a wee box about 4" across sitting on the top left of the engine itself.. Prob is I dont know what most of these parts are called! Eek. Ok, have a chuckle, but, could anyone post a pic of the engine compartment of a SEAT Ibiza Cupra Sport 2.0 Gti 1997 8v (or similar) so I can point out which bit I need and maybe one of you knowledgeable souls could identify it? :clap: Or, anyone know of any link to an online catalogue of engine shots??? Cheers mateys.

UPDATE
This is the part/s I need, as Ive said to a respondent, I don't wanna rip it out first THEN read the part code as I can still drive the car, so if I can identify what it is and ask local suppliers to trace it, that'd be better, I think.:shrug:
f03cre2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pyjamadrama

Yes, but I'd have rip the pipe off first to be able to read that...and I prefer to have spares in my hand before I remove something that's worn! I mean, right now I can still drive the car, if I take that off and it gets damaged or can't be re-fit, I'm stoofed. Thansk for the info though.. hehe. Ive just found an image of the engine off another site which sells K&N upgrade filters (which I already have) so I can show you guys what it is I need now, see posting if interested!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
its not the one from airbox to the exhaust manifold is it? some kind of warm up pipe that doesn't really do anything.

pyjamadrama

HAHA! YEH! MUCH BETTER THAN MY PIC! Many thanks mate! Now, come on all you smarty pants, the parts I dont know the name/function of (lol like most car parts!) is the black box to the left of the SEAT on the engine, and the vertical rubber pipes going into and out of it... Mechanic pointed out pipes worn and suggested that I may also need to replace the box too. What do they do??

CARL BRIGHTON

Chicken Choker
Jan 8, 2002
Gainsboro
Visit site
breather pipes,

I went to a SEAT dealer about 3 years ago to replace these... they said they didnt have the parts on their system and to try a VW dealer

they wont hurt ur car if they split

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
It's the crank case breather pipe. It is in two parts with a jubilee clip in the middle:

Engine.jpg

You can get them from GSF.

It doesn't hurt the car if it splits - but it does hurt your wallet. Your miles per gallon will fall quite a bit - mine went down by about 5mpg. I hadn't got a clue what it was until it went in for a service and they explained. Probably worth replacing both bits as if one half has perished, the other will be on its way out as well.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
OK folks, quote directly from the Haynes manual:
Crankcase Emission Control

'To reduce the emission of unburned hydrocarbons from the crankcase into the atmosphere, the engine is sealed and the blow-by gases and oil vapour are drawn from inside the crankcase, through a wire mesh oil separator, into the inlet tract to be burned by the engine under normal combusion.

Under conditions of normal manifol depression the gases will be sucked positively out of the crankcase. Under conditions of low manifold compression the gases are forced out of the crankcase by the (relatively) higher crankcase pressure. If the engine is worn, the raised crankcase pressure (due to increased blow-by) will cause some of the flow to return to the manifold under all conditions... ... Petrol engine codes 1F (1.6 monopoint); 2E (2.0 8v Digifant); and AGG (2.0 8v Simos) also have a pressure regulator on top of the camshaft cover.'

So having a split in the crankcase breather pipe will mean that in normal operation of the engine, it will be sucking a small amount of air into the system not through the air filter and hence not over the air mass meter. The info from the air mass meter (temperature and pressure) is used for two things:
Firstly, to control a valve which mixes 'pre heated' air drawn from over the exhaust manifold with air coming in via the air filter/ambient air conditions. I'm guessing this is all linked in with start up to get the engine running quickly and minimised time on choke.
Secondly, and more importantly, the data is sent to the ECU which then fine-tunes the fuelling.

So if there is some air getting into the system bypassing the air mass meter and the closed crankcase breather system due to a split, this will mess up the fuelling slightly leading to increased fuel consumption.

In terms of what is the black box that the crankcase breather pipe feeds into at the top left of the crankcase cover, this is the pressure regulator. I have no idea if this is user serviceable - there are no details in Haynes about this. Unless the unit is obviously damaged, I'd be tempted just to replace the two parts of the crankcase breather pipe. If the pressure regulator is damaged, then you could try glueing it back up to ensure that pressure remains in the system, or bite the bullet and buy a new one from Seat.

In terms of the breather pipe, I correct my previous comment that they were cheap. Just dug out the invoice from the Stealer when I replaced one half of it and the part was £29.58 inc vat. Ouch.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.