Advice on lost key

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Hi

my other half has manged to lose the flip key for our MK II Leon [:@][:@][:@]

We're having to use the manual spare just now.

Can anyone offer any options/ advice on what to do about about a replacement? I'm thinking

1). dealer - but don't know what's involved or how much yet.

2). I've see people talk about buying blank fobs off eBay and programming in them. But does this involve taking the transponder out of the manual key and putting in a flip therefore losing the use of the manual key (so back to 1 key again).

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
search mk1 forum, plenty of discussions in the past about flip keys.

Tam I had a look about the search but it seemed to be focusing on replacing the manual key with a flip key and changing over the transponder. My only option might be a trip to the dealer :( and a few quid :cry:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Tam I had a look about the search but it seemed to be focusing on replacing the manual key with a flip key and changing over the transponder. My only option might be a trip to the dealer :( and a few quid :cry:

Gotcha, so you do need to swap the transponder rather than re-programe a new one.

Yeah - seems like a dealer jobbie then - think the mk1 forums say its about £120 for a flip key.

expensive loss :(

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
I bought a replacement from ebay as I wanted two flip keys for my Leon Mk2.

It worked fine, you just need to specify that you want a 'HLO 1KO 959 753 G' (434mhz) blank and get it cut by a decent key-cutter/locksmith shop.

Then you use the other key as per the manual to program it. The seller of the blank that I bought included a copy of the instructions as well.

Total cost was £24.99 + £2.50 p&p for the blank and £8.00 (I think) to get it cut.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Then you use the other key as per the manual to program it. The seller of the blank that I bought included a copy of the instructions as well.

Thats the problem though, no "OTHER" key to use to program the new one. :(

correct me if i'm wrong, but the other key doesn't have any buttons on it, just a key that fits in the ignition with a transponder to disable the immobilizer

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
Hmm, can't remember if I had to use the buttons on the 'existing' flip key in the programming process.

I know that the programming involved locking and unlocking the driver's door with the key in the keyhole, while the ignition was on. Can't remember which key was which though.

Manual is out in the car, can't be @rsed to go outside to check now though.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
A new transponder is only about £8.50 posted if it's the same as a MK1 which I think it is.

http://www.hickleyvaltone.com/diagnostics/keys_list.php?manu=40

AKTP2

VW - Audi - Seat - Skoda 1998 Models On
• Transponder
• Megamos Crypto
• T6 ID48(MG10) Glass
• AD100/MVP Programmable

Just either need someone with Vagcom or pay the dealer to sort it once you have bought the flip key etc...

AL2007

Jun 6, 2007
North London (Spurs-Land)
Seat are being cheap'os when I got the Leon I questioned why only had 1 flip key. stealer said they cost £60 each.

Thats a feeble excuse as seat is part of the VW group and all vw's and Audis come with 2 flip keys :( Penny pinchers

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Cheers guys. Yes I only have the manual key. I will have a look at the manual tonight and see if it can be programmed off of the manual job.

cmc

Chuckie

I Have It
Apr 22, 2006
South Lincolnshire
I bought a replacement from ebay as I wanted two flip keys for my Leon Mk2.

It worked fine, you just need to specify that you want a 'HLO 1KO 959 753 G' (434mhz) blank and get it cut by a decent key-cutter/locksmith shop.

Total cost was £24.99 + £2.50 p&p for the blank and £8.00 (I think) to get it cut.

Do you know where you got the key from on ebay, was it a trader as all I can find are vW keys

Cheers

CH

Chuckie

I Have It
Apr 22, 2006
South Lincolnshire
I now have the key and have had it cut but I am struggling to program it. (I have followed the instructions supplied)

Has anybody out there tried it and if so do you have any tips.

Cheers

CH

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
Hmm, worked fine first go when I tried it.

Obvious suggestions would be, have you got the keys the right way round (the right one in the ignition)?

Might be worth changing the batteries in the remotes, just in case they're too weak to handle the programming.

There is an explanation in the owner's manual to de-program a key. Can't think why you'd need to, but you could try de-programming the new key before programming it.

Like I say, worked fine first go with me :confused:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise