Brembo refurbishing

Deleted member 12147

I'm gonna refurb some Brembo's that i bought off ebay, i just want to know what's the best paint to use. So far i've narrowed it down to two paints but i don't know which one would give the best finish.
The first is Halfords high temp engine paint:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...0901_crumb_33958-90885_parentcategoryrn_90901

The second is VHT Spray paint:

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/sfID1/1/sfID2/14/productID/71

As you can see one is a liquid paint the other is Spray, which give the best finish and be the easiest to apply? Would primer be needed with both both these?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
You should be fine with either or them mate. Depends on how much you want to do to them i.e. sanding them down or just cleaning and painting them?

If your sanding them down you will get a better finish with the spray.

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Have you got any pics?

I did mine in June with Hammerite paint, i toyed with the idea of hiring a spray gun and filling it with the Hammerite stuff and applying it that way, but i think its too thick to do that, so applied two coats with a brush.

If you're going to do your Brembos, you might as well do your rears as well and having them all matching, but i assume you'd thought of that anyway? ;)

Anyway, here's my pictures...

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Deleted member 12147

When i get round to changing these over what's the best way to go about changing the front brake lines? Do i just disconnect the line from the top? (inner arch) and change it over or is there another way i have to do it?

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Yeh i did mine exactly the same way as Big_Lad we have identical cars pretty much, i stripped the calipers off tho and did they fully inside and out the refitted them and bled the brakes, the flei-pipes were seized on my car so when you do yours use lots of wd40 and dont snap the flexis on the brembos they are a fortune for the little metal bits.

Deleted member 12147

Dan.payne were yours done with Hammerite? and can i just disconnect the line? or does it have to be done a specific way?

Black TDI Turbo

Oct 2, 2005
North East
You can just disconnect them but it will drip out brake fluid them you will need to bleed your brakes once you have fitted them, so i would check that the bleed nipples will slacken off the calipers first, also use lots of wd40 as if they snap you will have to drill them out and possibly need a new caliper so be very carful, if your not 100% confident get a garage to do it as thenm you have piece of mind as your brakes are very important(not to state the obvious or anything but)....

Deleted member 12147

I've completely stripped the calipers down already because i'm nitromorsing them. I got no problems with bleeding the brakes, i've done it before i just wasn't sure if i could undo the lines as i've never changed over calipers before.

So it looks like a case of undoing the lines and getting the new ones on as quick as poss. Am i right?

Black TDI Turbo

Oct 2, 2005
North East
Yeh you will have got the new flexis with the brembos because they were the ones i said to the bloke i would have if he sent me all the brackets and bolts etc... and then wen i checked the next day he sed yes if they come off but wen i went to buy them they had gone [:@] lol however anyways lol yeh just before hand spray them with wd40 to make it easier, release the caliper from the retaining bracket on the hub then undo the flei-pipe at the join where it goes to solid metal brake pipes, this connection should be the same as the standard ones. If your using nitromorse them have you fully stripped and removed all the seals out of the caliper as that will melt them?

Deleted member 12147

Ok thanks, sounds simple enough. I haven't nitromorsed the centre just the outside of the caliper. I'm gonna sand the centre part down, just to be on the safe side.

Deleted member 12147

Right i've decided i want to take the seals out after all, i can't be arsed to sand the paint down it's easier just to use nitromors.

How do i get the seals out? air compressor? are they easy to put back in?

Black TDI Turbo

Oct 2, 2005
North East
no you will probs knack the seals best get them refurbed propperly now and have all new seals fitted, its possible but if your going that far then why not.

Deleted member 12147

I've seen how much a new seal kit is something like £80 plus, so i'll give it a miss i think and leave em in.

Black TDI Turbo

Oct 2, 2005
North East
Just rub them down alittle, mask off the opening or plug them mask all the bits u dont want painting then use hammerite spray paint, couple of coats of that, then high temp laqure then new stickers.

Deleted member 12147

Here is an update on my progress.

Here are the before pics. I cleaned the brakes with a degreaser and then applied the Nitromors.

Before.jpg

Before2.jpg

Before3.jpg

Nitromors

Nitromors.jpg

All stripped down ready for painting.

BareMetal.jpg

BareMetal2.jpg

Will hopefully be painting them next week sometime.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.