Irratic Temperaturer Gauge??

GregLCR04

99 Ron Please!!!!
Oct 31, 2006
Dumbarton, Scotland
Went out for a drive last night and noticed my temperature gauge was up to no good. It kept fluctuating between 0 degrees and 90 degrees, but never above? Light has never came on or beeped? Checked coolant level this morning, all ok. Gauge did not seem to fluctuate more/less when driven hard or normally:shrug:

Searched on here this morning and a couple of possibilties came up, could be coolant temp sensor(green) or thermostat housing temp sensor. Apparently there is also a 3rd sensor but I am clueless when it comes to these things:confused:

My car is a 2004 LCR, any help with a difinitive answer would be greatly appreciated:lol:

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
mine had same symptons as you describe then went a couple of weeks ago mate,when i went for the re-map it came up as a fault it was the thermostat temp housing one that went £27 it cost iirc

Rhyme

Hey guys,

I am suffering from an almost identical problem.

First noticed it today on the way home from college, needle rose to 90 as normal but then nose dived to zero and sat there the remainder of the 30 mile journey home.

I took the car a drive out this evening and after warming her up to 90 the guage again started to randomly nose dive between 90 and 60 to zero and then back to 90.

There doesn't appear to be any other ill effects from this happening.

What did you replace to resolve your issue? is there anything else I should check and is fitting the part an easy job?

Cheers in advance. Mark.

Jun 28, 2001
got any coolant for a start if you have then it will be the tempsensor on the rh side of the engine thats buggered

Rhyme

got any coolant for a start if you have then it will be the tempsensor on the rh side of the engine thats buggered

Cool mate thanks, the car was serviced about 3 or 4 weeks ago so coolant was drained then so I was assuming(possibly a bad idea to assume anything) that this would have been replaced then.

I shall look into getting a replacement temp sender tomorrow, any advice on this whole green/black thing would be appreciated. (Mk1 Leon 1.9TDi).

I shall go visit the stealer tomorrow at some point.

Rhyme

Hey Guys,

Just about to head out to the dealership but before I do just wondered if anybody could advise me on exactly what part I need from them and confirm that it is a pretty simple job to do. Read a lot about green and black temp senders but was hoping that somebody could advise me of a part number to request or even what color I should look out for.

I shall check back before I head out, thanks.

Mark

(P.s. Leon Mk1 1.9TDi)

Rhyme

Brilliant Nick thanks for that - think I have read every single thread on the forum with the keywords "temp" "sender" & "fitting" :)

Rhyme

Don't worry I only went to the dealership to buy the parts.

Got all 3 parts as the other thread advised however those pictures are of an audi TT (I think).

Does anybody have an image of where the unit is located on the leon, waiting for the car to cool down at the moment then I shall replace.

On another note the gauge appeared to be working fine today, but it is about 8 degrees warmer today as well. When it was freezing the other day I stalled the car twice - this explains why I hope.

Rhyme

Thanks Hicks

Just attempted removing the sensor but coolant started pouring everywhere. I have lost a fair bit of coolant, is there anything else I can use to top up apart from the G12 as you mentioned?

I am still sitting above the minimum mark but not even changed the senor yet as so much was spilling out - a quick reply is really appreciated.

Mark

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I have read elsewhere that Halfrauds do a G12 compatable coolant, it's quite possible any motorspares place might have one, would save you trecking back to a dealer.

Rhyme

Thanks guys

Phoned my sister to come pick me up and run me to the VW Dealership (taking her horrible GolfPlus TDi).

Need another "C" clip as mines snapped going back in, cant seem to get it to fit at all :mad:

Man I hate my lack of car patience

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members