Engine noise problem solved!! - Seat Bulletin available

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Thought I'd post this up just in case other people might be experiencing the same problem since a bulletin has been released about it by Seat.

A while back I started to get this weird 'ook' (or moo..) type noise coming from the engine whenever the car's been in a lot of traffic (ie stop/start traffic - think London in rush hour!).

It was intermittent because once you got going and at speed, it disappeared..... :confused:

The noise was most noticeable when you blip the accelerator to bring the revs just over 1k, and also when you were changing gears either from 1st to 2nd or 2nd down to 1st (basically when you take your foot off the accelerator and the revs drop when engaging the clutch).

Anyways, took it round to the local dealer and they originally narrowed the noise down to a recirculation valve at the back of the engine which seemed to rumble when the noise appeared:

img1.jpg

However, after changing that it didn't solve the problem.

Finally took it back to the dealer last week and it seems a bulletin was just released about the problem (i've been told the bulletin even has an attached sound clip!).

They ended up replacing the turbo valve pipe.
Was told by the mechanic that although the pipe was replace, there might be a faint noise, but since then I've not had the noise problem.

BTW, bulletin no. i've got written down is TPL 2 2014935/1TO
Part no replaced. 03G131055AR

Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem! :D

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
Ive got this noise spoke to the dealers before christmas he said they knew what it was and as part of the PDI they fix it. However as i never got the car from them seems it wasnt done. need to fone and book it in to get done

Last edited:

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Hi toNes...this sounds very much like a problem I have. I posted this sometime ago but with no response...

"does anyone notice a 'thud' or deep 'pop' type noise (sometimes sounds even like a 'hum' with multiple pops strung together as the revs drop) sounding like its coming from just behind the bulk head on their FR Tdi? It does it in neutral when rev'd between 1k-2k only....ok, so it's a Diesel but it's very distinctive from the usual Diesel engine noises! Don't notice it when driving in gear.

I wondered if it was exhaust knocking due to resonant frequency or perhaps something associated with DPF and could be perfectly normal?"

Sounds like the same thing to me!? Thanks for the post!

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
ive had 2 off these valves fitted on my fr tdi seems ok now ive done about 6000 mls on the second one the first was replaced at 8000mls

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Sorry, been away for work so haven't checked this thread for a while.

Dunno if it's the owl noise you're getting, my was definately a mooing/ook type noise.

Then again, I guess it does depend on how you intepretate the noise.... :D

When does the noise come about.... is it there when you start driving or does it appear after the engine gets warm?

If you're getting something similar to what I wrote in the first post, then get it down to the steelers to have it looked at.
Supposedly the bulletin has a sound clip.... ?!?

Done about 1k in the car since I got it fixed..... there's still a slight muffled ook noise, but you only hear it if you're really concentrating on trying to find it!
TBH, it's something I can live with.....

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Sorry, been away for work so haven't checked this thread for a while.

Dunno if it's the owl noise you're getting, my was definately a mooing/ook type noise.

Then again, I guess it does depend on how you intepretate the noise....

When does the noise come about.... is it there when you start driving or does it appear after the engine gets warm?

If you're getting something similar to what I wrote in the first post, then get it down to the steelers to have it looked at.
Supposedly the bulletin has a sound clip.... ?!?

Done about 1k in the car since I got it fixed..... there's still a slight muffled ook noise, but you only hear it if you're really concentrating on trying to find it!
TBH, it's something I can live with.....

Took it to the stealers last week, passed on the bulletin number and part number (cheers again)...must have helped as they believe that is the problem! - "boost valve pipe". Not been done yet though as their waiting for the part to arrive.

The noise happens all the time really, warm or cold engine. Its very prominent so if the replacement even just mutes it then that will be a bonus!

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Quick update - Part arrived, fitted to the car yesterday. Noise now gone 95%...can only hear it if really straining, massive improvement. Was secretly hoping for an increase in power, but alas no luck! :(

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
But the 64000 dollar question - was the noise a relatively high pitched hooting sound (ie like an owl - it's a really good description!) or am I just getting my hopes up that this fix will get rid of that noise...?

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
I'm afraid not Deev, it was more of a low frequency "dop" type sound...difficult to describe but defo not high pitched. Sorry :(

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
But the 64000 dollar question - was the noise a relatively high pitched hooting sound (ie like an owl - it's a really good description!) or am I just getting my hopes up that this fix will get rid of that noise...?

I have the owl noise (see another thread I posted a week back). My mate reckons its summit to do with the EGR valve but stealer says turbo so its in on
Monday having a new turbo fitted. Only done 9k as well.

Will let you know what joy I have (if any) after Monday.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I look forward to finding out more! Problem is I don't want to book it into the dealers (with the associated hassle) for them to just come back with the stock "they all do that".

I'm getting quite used to my owl now. I might buy it some mice...

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
I look forward to finding out more! Problem is I don't want to book it into the dealers (with the associated hassle) for them to just come back with the stock "they all do that".

I'm getting quite used to my owl now. I might buy it some mice...

LOL, or another owl to keep it company..

Will let you know what happens. Have had a few cars from the place that's doing it and I reckon they know me better than to fob me off...

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
I get the owl noise.. usually when easing off.. when i concentrate on it it's quite obvious.. I will have to see if i can record it.. Sounds clips are the way to go...

Any idea what the turbo issue is? Is it noise related only or should I consider booking it in before the warrany runs out? Since having the car for 30k its had 3 dynos @ 165, 158 and 162bhp so performance hasn't been dropping.

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
I get the owl noise.. usually when easing off.. when i concentrate on it it's quite obvious.. I will have to see if i can record it.. Sounds clips are the way to go...

Not sure you have a problem - with mine, its not a case of concentrating to hear it, its bloody loud as hell. Anyway, car is now in, so will find out what was wrong when I pick her up at 5 tonight...