TomTom wiring on 08 Leon FR

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
I just hardwired my TomTom sat nav and thought the info my useful for others.

1. Solder red and black wire (use a decent gauge wire 16/0.2 or similar) to power adaptor - take care not to push on the contacts when soldering as the plastic gets very soft when heated. Use a hot bit (I know they are all hot, but some are hotter than others!), tin the contacts first, tin the wire ends, get a nice bit of solder on the iron tip and let the heat do the work. Once the solder has set cool it with the wet iron sponge or the like (this will harden the plastic quickly).

IMG_0024.jpg

2. Prepare the terminals as follows, take a 0.25 inch blade and trim it down to a similar size. This will fit in spare connection on the fuse panel. The one I have used is ignition switched. The ring (5mm hole) is used for the ground connection and is secured under the fuse panel and reatained by the bolt - torx bit required here.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

3. Connect ground and positive connections as per photograph. Ensure security of each!! I haven't used an inline fuse holder as the power adaptor has a 2 amp fuse fitted - I may well fit one in hindsight, 20mm fuse rated at 2 amp. I'm not sure if the built in one protects the supply or the output, I'd expect it to be the supply...but better safe than sorry!

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

4. Tie up power adaptor - MIND CABLES BEHIND METALWORK, IF YOU TIE UP AND CATCH THESE AS WELL YOU MAY WELL PULL THEM OFF THE LIGHT SWITCH OR DAMAGE THEM ANOTHER WAY. ENSURE CABLE TIE DOES NOT GO AROUND THEM AS WELL.

IMG_0031.jpg

5. Tie up excess cable.

IMG_0032.jpg

6. Finished installation.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Et voila! :clap:

Any questions just PM me.

Last edited:

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
How did you get the wire behind the dash running up to the satnav? Fancy doing this with my Garmin but would probably blow the car up!. Would it be an expensive job in a car audio place?

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
It's just a matter of taking the wire to the top back corner of the fuse panel, push the dash trim and the window trim apart (there's a fair amount of give in these parts) and ease the wire in. The trims close up around the wire to a degree and the wire flattens also. Warming it all with a hairdryer once installed can help the fit and relax the panels.

Wouldn't like to guess what it would cost, depends on the individual I think. It should be about 1/2 hour to 45 mins work. Few odd parts, nothing expensive.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Do you now have a permanent live? or is it wired to power with ignition? I have a tomtom factory prep, which is situated in the fuse box. however you have to use the Seat mount at £130 (now discontinued) and Only works with the 710 which is outdated now. So looking into a 730 and hardwiring it similar to yours now.... ;)
Which model is yours? and the mount??

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Mines even older than that, it's 700. Had it for 2 or 3 years now. The live that I picked up is an ignition switched one, useful as I've set the satnav to switch off when the ign. feed goes off.
As for the mount, it's the one that was supplied with it.

Not sure if those parts would worth the money even if they were available.

Thing is with this method you can install anything this way. Did you see NickP's installation of his Road Pilot? Nice job I thought, discreet too.

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Question for NickP

Nick P, how does the trim pull off? Does it just pull towards the left side of the car, or is there a specific direction / technique required?

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
Hmm. Whether to have a go myself? Am I right in thinking the fuse panel is behind the steering wheel to the right?

I'm convinced I will make my car explode!

If I run direct from the panel to one of the extensions NickP used and then into the normal garmin adapter I should be ok? Again, I'd want it ignition switched.

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
That sounds right. I think those adaptors have their own fuse. I put the extra inline fuse holder in tonight, quite important that.

I reckon youd be ok, and yes the connection I made is ignition switched.

mitchathome

Hardwired my TOMTOM as well

Having read various threads and followed advice (Thanks Mr T) I had an idea for hardwiring my TomTom but did not have the know how so my local ICE dealer did it for £30.
What you need to be aware of before installation is that the TomTom works from 5v, so if you tap into 12v from the car you are likelyto fry your satnav. I was given a cable from a chum which he didn't need and has an inline voltage regulator to reduce the 12v to 5v. You can buy them off fleabay here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380029518738&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:31

I understand from the fitter that he has used a switched live from the climate controls.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took after installation.

CIMG1706.jpg

The cable is just pushed back into dash for neatness.

CIMG1710.jpg

Cable gently pulled out and attached after the TomTom is in the cradle.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.