Leon coolant...

rusty82

how much should a full engine coolant change take on a cupra r?

looking at getting around to removing the old air con rad as its punctured so will replace the coolant, other thing is where are the bleed points on the engine?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
how much should a full engine coolant change take on a cupra r?

looking at getting around to removing the old air con rad as its punctured so will replace the coolant, other thing is where are the bleed points on the engine?

I should be able to tell you how much coolant it holds tomorrow when i'm at work, is the capacity not in your manual?

albevan

i renewed my coolant a few weeks back, there is a tap on the lowest hose on passenger side, just above the plastic under engine tray. just turn through 90 degrees and voila! coolant all over the floor! i just topped up with new coolant until level reached max in header tank and then ran engine. level dropped slightly so just topped it off again. don't think there are any bleed points think it just sorts itself out, i had no probs anyway. hope this helps.

andycupra

status subject to change
there is a tap at the bottom near side edge of the radiator. no tools needed to drain it. This is the only drain point needed, may be some small spillage when you take off the coolant pipe.

Dealers will often say you need 4 litres, however if you drain it properly (so thats including heater matrix etc then you need 5 litres).
So when draining / refilling make sure the temp in the car is on warm so that the heater matrix is open.

Use pink stuff as its a 5 year change and make sure you get coolant thats comliant with VW specs. (ie g12. its not that expensive from a dealer).

It a self bleeding system, there are no bleeding points on top of the radiator to worry about.
As above, check the level after initial running and top up as required.

Last edited:

rusty82

ah cool cheers chaps, sounds simple enough. have ordered the g12+ from local garage, sow ill get some distilled water and collect bits and attempt it tomorrow!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.