Guide - Fitting a Induction Kit to a 1.6 Sport

antnee

This is a guide to fitting a Cone style air filter (or induction kit) to a 1.6 Sport. I think the Cupra has a similar airbox.

Parts you need
A filter
A MAF pipe adaptor (green filters do one, its the one for VW's)
Appropriate fixing to hold the filter on (eg jubilee clip)
A bracket to support the filter (I used some strip aluminium)
4 nuts and bolts

Tools needed
10mm spanner (open ended on needed for one bolt)
Crosshead screw driver
Socket to suit your choice of nut and bolt
Tools to make bracket

I got my adaptor from demontweeks (greenfilters one) adaptor. This has a 77mm neck so you either need a 77mm filter or some reducer pipes. This is the adaptor(http://www.greenfilters.co.uk/Air_F..._various_Audi/Golf_fitments/product_info.html)

The filter I got was originally from ebay costing only £20! I got mine off a friend. This has a flexible rubber outlet, and features 2 filters, the main one and one in the top, which means it can draw in more air. This came with a jubilee clip to attach it to the adaptor
DSC00933.jpg

The bracket I used is made from 3x15mm aluminium strip. I used 3 90degree bends, bent the last section to the same shape as the suspension housing, it mounts to where one of the original airbox mounts used to be. Where it bolts onto the pipe, I cut away at the edge which touches the pipe so the holes are nearer the middle of the strip. I finished it by spraying it yellow to match the car.
DSC00967.jpg

So firstly the original airbox is held in by 3 bolts, which need a 10mm socket/spanner
DSC00934.jpg

These are located on the suspension housing
DSC00935.jpg

Inner wing - you will need to use an open ended spanner for this one
DSC00937.jpg

Between the battery and PS tank
DSC00936.jpg

Once they are out, you need to take the 4 screws which bolt the pipe onto the airbox
DSC00938.jpg

Once they are out, the airbox should come out with a bit of wiggling which will then leave a gap like this
DSC00939.jpg

And an airbox in your hands
DSC00940.jpg

Then get your adapter and 4 nuts and bolts, line the adaptor up with the pipe, put the bolts in and tighten up
DSC00941.jpg

At this point, if your filter hasn't got a 77mm outlet then you need to put on a reducer pipe

Last edited by a moderator:

antnee

I then put the bracket to support the filter and pipework on. Mine uses 2 of the bolts for the adaptor and 2 bolts on the suspension housing, which used to hold one of the mounts for the standard airbox
DSC00961.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

Then you can bolt on the filter itself, mine just attached by doing up a jubilee clip
DSC00969.jpg

And there you are! One induction kit for a 1.6 Sport

DSC00965.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

antnee

I have thought about it, but all the different sizes hurt my head

antnee

It was in the FAQ section but got moved out!

All I know is that the filter size is 77mm (3"). I dont know if a 3" pipe would fit over the MAF pipe adaptor I have though (see pic below). Also I would need a insert for the filter end too as the cone has a flexi rubber end

pa-a-a.jpg

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
by the looks of it you would need a 77mm silicone pipe, and an alloy joiner that would be 77mm as well? because the inner diameter of the silicone pipe would be 77mm, and the outer diameter of the joiner will be 77mm...
jesus, i hope i've worked that out properly!

so i dont think it would be too hard to do :) should relocate your battery to the boot as well lol.. another thing to do!

antnee

Its only a 1.6! lol, CBA with moving the battery, I would if I stripped the back out though

antnee

I think only K&N do one, but this way works out about £40-50 cheaper

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.