Air con/Heating Fan Problem

guyb

Mine has stopped blowing! No change when you put it on windscreen or when you turn up fan?

Into the garage this morning but you know what they are like! Any suggestions to prod them in the right direction?

Its a 55 2.0 TDI with 56,000 miles.

Thanks

Guy

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
How did you get this repaired, mine has packed up this morning....

No fan operation at any speed or in any direction. I can't even hear the 'tapping' noise as the climate control moves the vents around behind the dash.

Any help appreciated.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
How did you get this repaired, mine has packed up this morning....

No fan operation at any speed or in any direction. I can't even hear the 'tapping' noise as the climate control moves the vents around behind the dash.

Any help appreciated.
This IS a know failure by SEAT UK [ the resistor burns out] and should be covered under warranty - mine was. good luck

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
Unfortunatly the warrently expired in October... I've had the fan out, given it a spin to check it was 'free' and since then it's come back to life (a good 10 hours blowing since he first fault) all except for 2 things.

Once the fan didn't start up, but a mile down the road over a pothole it came back as normal??

The fan doesn't seem to be as fast, the very fastest speed doesn't drown out the radio like it normally does??

I'm wondering whether my motor may have a dead spot - or if the resistors are indeed to blame.

I'm going to look into replacing the resistors and going from there, from what I found in the Altea section motors are £215 and resistor packs are £70, plus the VAT

If anyone has any information regarding the motor, the resistors etc please post it up. I fancy going down the Maplins route to begin with.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Seening from your thread you appear to be "hands on" try a breakers yard - any of the VAG Marque should be able to help and have commoon parts etc. [ its a very big parts bin!!!]

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Unfortunatly the warrently expired in October... I've had the fan out, given it a spin to check it was 'free' and since then it's come back to life (a good 10 hours blowing since he first fault) all except for 2 things.

Once the fan didn't start up, but a mile down the road over a pothole it came back as normal??

The fan doesn't seem to be as fast, the very fastest speed doesn't drown out the radio like it normally does??

I'm wondering whether my motor may have a dead spot - or if the resistors are indeed to blame.

I'm going to look into replacing the resistors and going from there, from what I found in the Altea section motors are £215 and resistor packs are £70, plus the VAT

If anyone has any information regarding the motor, the resistors etc please post it up. I fancy going down the Maplins route to begin with.

Sounds to me like the motor brushes are worn down, this makes them have poor contact to the commutator ( spinning bit of motor). a pot hole can make the fan work for a bit or vice versa.

Motor brushes will be very cheap from a motor repair company like Dowding and Mills. You may even get lucky at Maplins if you can take a brush out and show it to them.

EDIT>

Come to think of it, if the brushes are worn down a bit they may well be covered in their own debris and be sticky. See if you can pop the brushes out, clean them up and also the springs that push them against the commutator and you may get a few more months out of them.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
On a closer inspection the motor was very dusty, but as discussed on the Altea section this is probably becasue it spins in dirty air, before the dust/pollen filter. The motor is a very sealed unit (especially at the brush end) and I didn't want to risk destroying it. It's housing is also the 'screw in' fixture that holds it under the dash.

I've gently blown the motor out, applied a small amount of dielectric grease to the contacts and put it back in. Looking at the 'resistors' was a waste of time, there's computer chips, transistors, resistors, capacitors and a bloody great copper coil in there - roughly 50-60 components on a small PCB. Lovely as the Maplins idea was, it's not going to happen.

I've also removed a load of rotten leaves from under the n/s wiper motor where the air is drown into the cabin. The airflow does seem improved to what it was previously, but time will tell.

I was thinking of going down the breakers route but I personally have the fan going whenever I'm in the car, unless I can find a nice young write-off I'd question how long a life these things have...

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
Final update

After 45mins in a traffic jam with no heater I bought a new complete motor and speed control unit off ebay, £160 delivered, rather than the dealers £300+

Once i'd got the old unit into 'pieces' the commutator on the motor wasn't too bad (I've seen better though) The brushes were only about half worn (and not easy to get at or change) The new unit span alot more freely than the old unit did. I'd put my fault down to the electronics in the speed control unit, maybe a capacitor not allowing motor start-up.

I will try and work out where the old unit is going wrong, if anyone has trouble in the future or needs any info I'll do my best to help.

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
It was starting to go that way yes, if I turned the speed up the squeeking stopped.

The main fault for me was it not starting up, it only worked about 25% of the time when I changed it. If your car is still in warrenty get it back to the dealer and maybe make out that it doesn't start up sometimes :whistle: