Replacing some of the smaller engine hoses, help please (pic included)?

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk
Im trying to work out some cheap mods to do, and thought of replacing the following hoses in the engine bay. Mainly the ones labelled below (thanks rsmith for the donor picture :), engine bay looks sweet mate!):

lastestengine001.jpg

They all look around the same thickness, except for maybe #3

• Where can I get the correct sized hose from?
  • Will I need new jubilee clips to attach them?
  • Will coolant and oil piss out when I try and change them over?

Heres what my engine bay looks like currently:

_MG_1009.jpg

Going to black all the plastics soon too.

Thanks guys :D

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Items 1, 2 and 4 can be replaced with 8mm silicon hose
4 can be fully replaced upto check valve i think, eliminating metal part
Item 3 i think is 10mm hose
All these should be ok to be held on with a couple of well done cable ties
Also nothing should be in them apart from air, except 1 which is coolant but if you open lid it will drain back

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Items 1, 2 and 4 can be replaced with 8mm silicon hose
4 can be fully replaced upto check valve i think, eliminating metal part
Item 3 i think is 10mm hose
All these should be ok to be held on with a couple of well done cable ties
Also nothing should be in them apart from air, except 1 which is coolant but if you open lid it will drain back

Thats my bay, should have just asked me.

1,2,4 are indeed 8mm and 3 can be 10mm but is a bugger to get off, the other smaller hoses are 3mm.
Ronun225 is correct.

Also don;t use cable ties, get the proper silicon hose friendly jubilee clips, they look alot better, more durable and can be reused.
You can get all these from siliconhoses.com cheaply

Here is an updated pic for your to copy!;)

engine020.jpg

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester

1,2,4 are indeed 8mm and 3 can be 10mm but is a bugger to get off, the other smaller hoses are 3mm.
Ronun225 is correct.

Also don;t use cable ties, get the proper silicon hose friendly jubilee clips, they look alot better, more durable and can be reused.

engine020.jpg

i'll do some copying, where are your bottle tops from? i.e. washer and coolant. Very tidy bay

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk

Ronun225 is correct.

engine020.jpg

Good point rsmith :lol: !!

Thanks for the info, should I buy the straight hoses from that site, like this...

http://siliconhoses.com/content.asp?inc=product&catalog=0022SH&cat=0022SH

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
I got some from halfords, it did a waterpipe, one to the expansion bottle, the hose to the carbon cansiter, and to the n75 valve, was arround 10 quid with freinds discount :p

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Personally i check everything with a vernier gauge and then get the correct internal diametre tubing and then measure the outer diametre tubing once you have it for the correct jubilees but boxs of 10 are pretty cheap in halfords.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Buy it from forge then as there postage is 6 quid i think and their hoses are from siliconhoses.com
You can buy proper stainless jubilees too quite cheap

buch bdm 400

Jul 4, 2009

Ronun225 is correct.

engine020.jpg

where did you get the dipstick from mate my yellow one looks horrible

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
where did you get the dipstick from mate my yellow one looks horrible

i bought it off a guy who got it at edition38, he does not know the manufacturer, they seem to be really hard to find, if you are any way technical you could probably make one quicker!

All you need is a stainless steel rod and a handle with a seal, once all the measurements are ok, it should do the business.

The yellow ones are total mank

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire

Ronun225 is correct.

engine020.jpg

:drool: nice bay mate, thanks for the sizes, what would you recommend for (3) 11mm?

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk
Managed to do this the other day and updated my readers ride thread. So thought I might as well paste the update here too:

8mm Silicone hose and Jubilee clips arrived this morning so have just spent an hour fitting them.

BEFORE:

_MG_1070.jpg

_MG_1072.jpg

AFTER:

_MG_1073.jpg

_MG_1074.jpg

And an overall shot of the engine bay as it stands now:

_MG_1075.jpg

Not a bad mod for £20 all in. Balances up the blue nicely.

Thanks for looking.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Managed to do this the other day and updated my readers ride thread. So thought I might as well paste the update here too:

8mm Silicone hose and Jubilee clips arrived this morning so have just spent an hour fitting them.

Not a bad mod for £20 all in. Balances up the blue nicely.

Thanks for looking.

Not bad at all mate, what i would say to you though is for that extra bit of detail, turn the jubilee clips upside down so the tighening mechanism is not showing, its neater and spash out on some solid band clips, they look the business.

Otherwise good job.I wonder what you are thinking of replacing next?