Brake Upgrade

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Just installed R32/Cupra 345mm front brake upgrade. Not cheap but a piece of piss. 2 hours both sides start to finish. Will put up piccys/how to soon. And yess they will fit under 17" wheels.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Upgrading to R32/Cupra 345mm Front brakes.

The old calliper carriers are unbolted using 19mm socket and a long extension.
Detach the fluid hose where solid pipe leaves bodywork hole. 17mm and 11mm (7/16ths") spanners. I didn’t detach the old calliper and hose until new calliper was fitted and ready. With plastic over fluid reservoir the loss of fluid is minimal and easy to bleed off air bubbles.
New hoses are needed as it is a different connection to the calliper. See later photo with brake hose. It has a spring sheath for protection. (Courtesy of Seremotors)
Disc is held on to hub with a small torx screw. Disc will often need a tap with wooden/rubber mallet to release off hub.
Disc guards have 3 small Torx screws hold then on. Quick blast of easing oil first since its only cheap painted tinplate.

The callipers:
CaliperSize.jpg

Old 312mm callipers and 345 single pot. Much bigger in size but weigh almost the same.

And taken apart:
Apart.jpg

Slider
Piston
Spring clip
Pads
Disc
The calliper has the carrier bolt holes as an integral past of the calliper body. New bolts recommended.
I chose to overhaul my callipers with a kit, which includes:
Kit.jpg

New piston/cylinder seal
New piston protective seal
New slider rubbers and end caps
Dust cap
Silicone grease for sliders.

The calliper slide just slides out of the calliper body. The slider rubbers can be pushed through from either end.
The piston is a very tight fit.- I used an air hose from my compressor to blow them out (put a bit of wood inside calliper to stop the impact damaging piston)
Blowoff.jpg

Blowoff2.jpg

Rubber seal to be removed and renewed.
Seal.jpg

All cleaned up with methylated spirits.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
New seal inserted and piston pushed back in. I used the rear disc wind back toll with a bit of wood as a press.

Press.jpg

New slider rubbers inserted with silicone grease. Long cone end first. It will go with a slow sustained push.

SliderRubber.jpg

New larger disc guards on (courtesy of Seremotors)

DiscGuard.jpg

New discs put on, after cleaning up hub face with fine wet and dry and applying smear of copper grease and retained with Torx screw.

DiscSize.jpg

The calliper/brake pad can be pre-assembled and slid on over the new disc.

Assembled.jpg

New Hoses:

NewHose.jpg

New callipers slid over and bolted on with new bolts and threadlock.
Torque value:125Nm!

Fitted2.jpg

Brakes bled and bedded in carefully.
Do 17” wheels fit? Yep
Stonking!

Last edited:

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Nice job on that! :clap:
Don't know why the calipers are so big though,only being a one pot and having such small pads :shrug:
Nice braking force though! [B)]

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Guess they need to be alot stronger to resist the increase in torque from larger disc when brakes applid. I have similar size brembos on my Alfa, although they are 4 pot.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.