Condesation in the cabin...

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
I've got some serious issues with condesation building in the cabin. I'm not talking steamy windows, i'm talking full on, condesation as if the car has been left with the windows open all night.

drivers window i now keep two leaters in the car to get the excess water off and a squeeg and cloth to do the back and sides.

What can this be.

I originally though i had water in the boot, dried it out.... worse than ever, i've check to make sure my aircon isnt on recirculate.

Any suggestions before i lose my marbles...

Thanks in advance.

H

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
Try leaving all your doors open some warm dry day, to let your car interior completely dry out. Unfortunately warm dry days are hard to come by at this time of year so you may have to try driving for a long time with the a/c on and the temperature and fan high.

If the condensation comes back again it is gona be a leak and you are gona have to look around till you find it.

Interestingly i came across something on the internet called pingi. More info at http://www.pingi.eu/page/faq_en.html and can be bought off ebay. But basically it absorbs 100ml of water out of the air per cycle and can be recharged in the microwave when full. I dont get bad condensation but for a tenner I am gona buy 1 and see wat it is like. I have in the past tried the Rainx type stuff to stop condensation on windows and found it a waste of money. So will report back whether it works.

Last edited:

Aimez

I have this problem too the whole windscreen is covered I have to wipe with a cloth and when it is really cold it now freezes on the inside!!I know it is cos of one of my door sills doesn't sit right as I can hear air coming in. Need to replace it really now as it is a big problem. That thing above will have a look sounds like a good idea especially in older cars.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
if you want to dry your car out inside,

Start car up, put air con on, set it to recirc and leave it on hot and full on. you should be left with a nice big puddle under the car afte 30-40 minutes as it dries itself out, acts kind of like a denumidifier.

Also remember to clean the inside of your screens and windows as dirt will allow moisture to become trapped and will increase the chances of your windows fogging up.. Don't just use a cloth, use some proper window cleaner to help remove the grime.

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
I share your pain fella, mine's downright awful with this, pretty much every morning now i gotta get the window scraper thingy and go round the whole car inside and out then wait for the windows to de-mist, bloddy hassle, but having a pingi penguin in the car looks pretty cool

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
When was the last time you had your pollen filter replaced and what condition is it in now ?

I noticed a big difference to the cars demisting ability and its capability to heat the cabin after changing mine.

A blocked or partially blocked pollen filter made a big difference to the climate control air flow.

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
When was the last time you had your pollen filter replaced and what condition is it in now ?

I noticed a big difference to the cars demisting ability and its capability to heat the cabin after changing mine.

A blocked or partially blocked pollen filter made a big difference to the climate control air flow.

Wheres the cabin/pollen filter?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Wheres the cabin/pollen filter?

Look under the glove box - you will see a large panel - remove it (5 screws)

You will then see the long thin bottom cover for the pollen filter.

If it's like mine - move the two slides towards each other and the cover comes off.

Then remove the filter - will probably be full of all sorts of crap & very dirty.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Some you do not need to remove any screw mine 54 plate you just slide the plastic things then pull it out, DO NOT have your head under there when you pull it out you will get a eye full of leaves!

There are no screws in the pollen filter housing but there is a large cover under the glove box that needs removing first - the 5 screws are in the cover.

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
Well i've done that, there was some leaves (not a great deal) but some fell out so cleaned that, hoovered the filter - wasnt that dirty or wet tbh.

checked door seals and they all look to be fine.

I cant find ANY standing water....

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Well i've done that, there was some leaves (not a great deal) but some fell out so cleaned that, hoovered the filter - wasnt that dirty or wet tbh.

checked door seals and they all look to be fine.

I cant find ANY standing water....

I tried hoovering mine to clean it but it wasn't that effective - pollen filters are much finer than engine air filters.

For the £7 it costs - i would put a new one in.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Let me know if the penguin just freezes then stops soaking up water! Just turned my car on 10 minutes before leaving for work so I don't have to de ice the inside!

hmm never thought of that :-o I'll let you know!

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
Well we're now three days and a cold snap into it and zero condensation...

Whether its coincial or not.

I'm seriously considering one of those for the boot so would be uber interested if it works - keep us all posted.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.