Radio Reception Problems, SOLUTION FOUND

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
Ever since getting my LCR the radio reception has been pants and i have known it, it was just about bearable, but recently it has got much worse, and my passangers have noticed aswell, which for such a new car is a bit of an embarrassment to tell them ye the receptions not that good! :cry:

Anyway, i have recently turned my hands to VAG COM and as expected it threw up a error code for the radio

Address 56: Radio Labels: 1J0-035-18x-56.LBL
Controller: 1M0 035 186 J
Component: Radio GRO 2 29
Coding: 00403
Shop #: WSC 06402
1 Fault Found:
00856 - Radio Antenna
36-00 - Open Circuit

I cleared the fault, but it re appears almost straight away

I have pulled the Head unit out and checked the aerial connection at the back, all is fine, Its the standard Auria Tape deck with 6 disk Changer

I also checked under the head lining to make sure nothing was lose etc and everything was tight and in place,

Now the fault code leads me to believe that there is a break in the cable leading from the roof to the back of the head unit, is this right?

How can i check to see if the aerial amp is working (base of aerial) and its getting the required power (what voltage should it be?)

Its got to a point where im considering replacing the entire cable from the roof to the radio, to solve this problem

Any one got any ideas? anything that might lead to a solution would be greatly received

Cheers
Jose

Last edited:

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
well after doing some research across the MK4 platform VAG cars i came across a candian forum where he had the same issue, his car at the time was only 2 years old (bora)

Anyway he removed the amplified aerial base from the roof of the car and said there was a lot of corrosion from salt etc underneath, after replacing the base it had solved his problems.

With this in mind i thought the easiest place to start was the aerial base. Its very easy to get to and after removing it from the car and taking it apart this is what i was left with

CIMG2089.jpg

CIMG2086.jpg

CIMG2085.jpg

CIMG2084.jpg

Looking closely at the circuitry and components it looks beyond saving, will have a look in the local scrap yard and see if there are any in better condition (doubt it) and get a price from SEAT for a new unit

Jose

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
bloody hell, can tbeleive it has got that bad in there. have you tried gsf/ecp for a replacement cost? they maybe cheaper than the dealers

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
Hi,

Not yet, will get as many prices as possible, i have looked on ebay and there are a number of generic amplified roof aerial bases which are for the Skoda/ Seat/ VW range of cars, but the connection looks different and if possible i would like the correct one.

I remember seeing a number of Mk4 Golfs and Passats at the scrappy so i will go down next week and see if there are any in decent condition

Jose

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
its wierd how its got likethat in there, must be from jet washes etc. i think your betting off getting a new kit as a 2nd hand one will probably have similar issues regarding the seal. you may wanna use some silicone or something to make it watertight.

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
Well, a trip down to the scrap yard was a good move, i took the aerial bases off a passat and a MK4 golf, but the internals were slightly different, the connector was the same, then i found a skoda felicia 2003 and it was an identical aerial base, internals all identical as well and this one was in very good condition, no corrosion at all, i siliconed it all up and fitted it to the roof, the radio reception is now CRYSTAL clear, and i can get stations i didnt even know existed!

Very happy indeed! in the end it didnt cost me anything either witch is a bonus

Just need to clear the fault code with VAG COM and thats one job done

Jose

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
cleared the fault codes with VAG COM and they have gone, Job done.

I did think about trying a shark fin aerial, the only thing that was putting my off is there's a lock connection that i hadn't seen before, and all the generic aerials come with the normal aerial radio connection. So didn't want to do a bodge job and having the best radio signal possible is what im after rather than looks.

Feb 28, 2010
Southampton
I wasnt thinking shark fin ala Beeema - the standard mk1 titty has the same base as us - but a little tiny stump of an aeirl, but still gets amazing quality radio.
:) know what im gona do next!! haha

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise