Leon mk1 aftermarket radio not working.

Mar 7, 2022
Hi!

I have a 1999 Leon mk1 and I recently encountered a problem. My old JVC aftermarket radio was working fine but decided to replace it for a newer bluetooth JVC one.

Got the new one and replaced it plug and play basically and I had the memory loss problem each time turning the car on. I had to turn off demo mode and beep and set the EQ, it was getting too much each day. I read thoroughly online and didn't find much about MY problem.

You're supposed to change the red and yellow wire because otherwise it won't save a thing.
I did that and well now my radio isn't working. :(

Replaced both car Radio fuse 15A and radio has it's own fuse 10A and I changed that too. Fuses are ok and wiring same as before.

What else should I check on this car because I tried the older JVC and that won't turn on as well, so it sounds like something else now?

I'm posting the JVC model and wiring at the moment. The constant current changes when I swap the yellow and red but something is wrong and I can't figure myself.

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_162407.jpg
    IMG_20220228_162407.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 498
  • received_396079329007581.jpeg
    received_396079329007581.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 106

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
If there's no power it's virtually always the fuse. You say you changed the one in the dash but had it actually blown?

Mar 7, 2022
If there's no power it's virtually always the fuse. You say you changed the one in the dash but had it actually blown?
I changed the car's fuse box radio fuse nr 42, and also the JVC radio has it's own fuse which I also changed but blown not really. They didn't seem to be. I don't know how far in the wiring should I check? The fact that everything changed the moment I touched Yellow and red wire makes me worried it's either the wiring or I did something I wasn't supposed to. Added some pics of the wiring too. I tried them as they were originally meaning red with red and yellow with yellow but no success? Should I start replacing wires?

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_165102.jpg
    IMG_20220307_165102.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_20220307_165150.jpg
    IMG_20220307_165150.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 126
Mar 7, 2022
You shouldn't be able to do any damage, because that's why the fuse is there.

Does the climate control screen work?
Yes everything else works as usual. Radio itself doesn't respond to anything. Tried playing and hold the buttons but nothing so far. I'll try and replace the wiring adapter too now I think.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I haven't got anything much to contribute to the thread other than to say that this does seem to be an issue and you're certainly not the only one who's had it.

I fitted my aftermarket stereo about ten years or so ago, which was long before I started really mucking about with the car, and remember the stereo resetting every time I turned the engine off. Fixing it involved swapping over some wires, I think as you've done, but there are still times I turn the radio on only to find that it's reset to factory settings and I have to cancel out the demo mode, set the time and all the rest.

One day I'll get the multimeter out and do continuity tests etc. but I think it's more to say that I don't think it's necessarily anything that you've done that's causing the issue.

Mar 7, 2022
I haven't got anything much to contribute to the thread other than to say that this does seem to be an issue and you're certainly not the only one who's had it.

I fitted my aftermarket stereo about ten years or so ago, which was long before I started really mucking about with the car, and remember the stereo resetting every time I turned the engine off. Fixing it involved swapping over some wires, I think as you've done, but there are still times I turn the radio on only to find that it's reset to factory settings and I have to cancel out the demo mode, set the time and all the rest.

One day I'll get the multimeter out and do continuity tests etc. but I think it's more to say that I don't think it's necessarily anything that you've done that's causing the issue.
I'm going to see an audiostore garage about it as they could probably see what's up with it. I'll keep you posted.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I'm not sure because I wouldnt call it an accessory position. There's 3 pos.

1. Off
2. Ignition on
3. Starter
That was a long time replying but that is your problem, the Accessory position is controlled by the ECU, so you need to find something that comes live at that point, then you need to connect the Red to permanent live and the yellow to the "accessory" position, and when you get a acc supply it will turn the radio on but should keep the memory's, but if it doesn't the just swap the red and yellow

Mar 7, 2022
Hi, sorry for late reply I had work and other stuff going on with the car too. So as I mentioned before then I did swap the yellow and red wires and it turns out I did everything correctly. My wiring was good and also was the radio itself. It seems a fuse was blown. Didnt tell me which one and I dont wanna mess with it too much as well as it works for now. I changed the radio fuse 10A and car fusebox nr 42 radio fuse 15A. Somewhy their fuses worked so I guess I bought shitty fuses, Interesting really. So yeah for me the yellow and red wire cross swap with each other worked and a fuse is most likely the next thing Im gonna double or triple test with 3 different brands if the first wont work again. This thread can be closed now. Thank You all for trying to help! Cost me 12€ btw to get it done.

Reactions: Alexis27
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.