My 1.4 twincharger diy mods

POLARBEAR666

Here are pics of the mods I have come up with, enjoy and apply to your Cupras!

My supercharger cover removal mod
P5300023.jpg
P5300024.jpg
P5300025.jpg

Breather modification to reduce oil consumption
- NOTE: I have removed the factory breather checkvalve block as most of them break and leak boost. Route the connections directly as per my diagram - at your own risk of course. I have been driving around like this for a year and a half.
Image0398-1.jpg
Polarbear666BreatherMod7-1.jpg

Intercooler sealing gaps to reduce intake temperatures to within 6'c of outside.
2004_0317Image0002.jpg
IntercoolerAirDiffusers3.jpg

Race battery mod - buy a harley davidson battery which is made by Deka. 8kg! starts with 700+ CCA
P9140027.jpg

Water spray running off the rear wipers outlet on the factory windscreen washer pump.
P2250012.jpg

PEW PEW mod

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
That is really impressive mate. Glad to see you have the gobads to go ahead and do all of this work. Did you do a dyno test before and after all these mods?

POLARBEAR666

I am uploading the TSI 1.4 Manuals now. Will post links when they are up.

Last edited by a moderator:

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Mate, just have to say, I'm really impressed by what you have done. Makes the difference between a good car and a great car. Have you got any performance figures since all ur mods?

POLARBEAR666

Well, if you keep in mind that my Golf is 188kg heavier than your Cupra stock v stock my time is pretty good for a car with no ECU tune.

DynoliciousPolar666.png

POLARBEAR666

what were you running standard 160bhp? have you got an induction kit/exahust/intercooler

I made my own carbon airbox around a pod filter. Just wrap the sheet of carbon around pod tight and rivit it into a tube, then put a 3 inch adaptor onto a circular object that fits the other end and voila, carbon pod filter.
I modified a brake duct to fit where the FORGE style intakes mount at the front to get Ram air.
Image0400.jpg
[/IMG]

Intercooler is stock but with my aluminium sheet sealing all the edges and forcing air to go through the cooler like a tunnel, I average 5-7'c max variance between my ECU's intake temp output and the outside air temp.

2004_0317Image0003.jpg
[/IMG]

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
those are some great ideas. I have heard people mention spraying water on the intercooler when driving, is that another possible DIY mod?

POLARBEAR666

I bet it is not even 5% as effective as a new intercooler. believe it or not there are no 50p mods that will net you any gains.

Your right, its not 5% as effective but about 50% as good as a new intercooler (NB the Cupra cooler is not a full radiator sized one like the golf so Idea won't work quite as well.. but will still reduce your water temp a lot).

My shroud keeps my intake temps within 5-7'c of the ambient air temp even when driven hard. This is almost as good as Forge etc. My car will heatsoak slightly but the temp will drop back down very quickly as soon as I am rolling for 20 seconds. My radiator no longer sits on 88'c but barely makes it over 85 due to the shroud.

I have had other people do my mod and run Vag Com logs and see the temperature drop.
If you have not tried it don't post some BS that it does not work. DO IT , then complain to me if it does not work!

Have you seen any Formula 1 cars radiators. There is no gap around the edge of the radiator so that air can avoid going through it.
2004_ferrari_f2004_f1_right_side_radiator.jpg

IntercoolerAirDiffusers4.jpg
IntercoolerAirDiffusers5.jpg

05022009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GrDuDe_Cupra

May 11, 2010
Your right, its not 5% as effective but about 50% as good as a new intercooler.

From your posts i really understand that you have no clue whatsoever, i did try it and the difference was 1 degree. Just bare in mind the responsibility you have for making others transform their car into the chavmobil.

In the meanwhile you stick to that while i stick to this
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9562/dsc01075f.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.