Electromechanical steering fault

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Got a yellow warning on the dash tonight for the above. Any ideas what it could be? Car seems fine...........but is out of warranty!! :censored:

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
**Update**

Drove the car at lunch.............the power steering chucked it, the light turned red and beeped at me. :censored::censored:

Luckily I work near a VW/SEAT garage so I left it there and will see how much its gonna cost. I asked the girl to ask SEAT for a good will gesture if its expensive. She said she will do that as its only done 27k and has FSSH. She was very helpful so I'm hoping for a good outcome.

Anyone got and idea of costs for a rack or other parts it might be?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
**Update**

Drove the car at lunch.............the power steering chucked it, the light turned red and beeped at me. :censored::censored:

Luckily I work near a VW/SEAT garage so I left it there and will see how much its gonna cost. I asked the girl to ask SEAT for a good will gesture if its expensive. She said she will do that as its only done 27k and has FSSH. She was very helpful so I'm hoping for a good outcome.

Anyone got and idea of costs for a rack or other parts it might be?

Any updates on this mate?

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
nope it wont but if you disconect the battery you get the steering light lit.

I didn't even get a chance to try anything before it chucked it.

Any updates on this mate?

I got a call yesterday to say it needs a new rack and that its.................£1400 to do the work!!!

They're going to speak to Seat UK about goodwill gesture as the car is nearly 4yrs old, but has full dealer history, just had timing belt and water pump and has only done 27k. They said the fact that all my stamps are main dealer looks good, but can't tell me what, if any goodwill will be offered. Not happy. They will get back to me on Monday so have to wait.

Anyone had goodwill in this sort of situation?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
You should get 100% goodwill on a car with that mileage and full dealer history.
See what the dealer comes back with and if its less than 100% phone Seat yourself and kick off mate.
Such an expensive major fault so I'd be surprised if they don't cough for you mate.
Fingers crossed.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
You should get 100% goodwill on a car with that mileage and full dealer history.
See what the dealer comes back with and if its less than 100% phone Seat yourself and kick off mate.
Such an expensive major fault so I'd be surprised if they don't cough for you mate.
Fingers crossed.

Thats what I'm hoping for. I've lost faith in my car now as a result. This is the first time since I got it that I've actually thought about selling, but I love the car. :headhurt:

I'll update when I have more news.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Got the car back last night and all is good. It got a new rack which is £820 + vat + labour. They also did the geometry as you'd expect. SEAT paid 70% of the total bill and wouldn't go any higher. The car is 1yr out of warranty, so at least I didn't need to pay the whole lot myself, as it also got a 4yr service and is due an MOT next month.

Arnold Clark at Linwood have been great. Kept me up to date and looked after my car as usual. They also told me that if you contribute anything to the goodwill then you get the 24 month warranty on the parts. If Seat pay 100%, you don't.

Just happy to have the car back, although I have lost faith in it abit.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise