CR170 MAP sensor limitations at stage2

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Just had the car logged at Sedox to see why I'm seeing massive flat spots and jumps in power.

At certain revs, when pushing it, the car just goes flat. Then all of a sudden goes back on the power, then drops, etc.

Turns out the CR170 MAP is limited to 2601 millibar.
Put a 4 bar map in you'd think, same as they do with the PDs.
Stupid CR170 ECU has yet to be mangled to allow it to be calibrated with a 4bar(3bar+1atmos) MAP.

So for the CR170, stage2 pressure is limited to about 2550 because boost creep will make it go over the 2601.

Until this is fixed, I can't see how the car can make more usable power.

Sedox are now going to redo my map to reign it in a tiiiiiny bit just to keep the boost at a workable level.

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Got this issue sorted today and it made a world of difference to the map. Apparently the max is something like 2610, and I was requesting 2617.
So, took it down 7millibar. Not noticeable in power, but the overall effect is VERY noticeable.

Dave @ Sedox also screwed down the power a bit on low-load, so that 1st and 2nd aren't just to test wheel spin.
Can pull off the line tons quicker now, pulls hard and smooth to the redline, and motorway driving is amazing.
Good map became even better!

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Glad you got sorted mate.
I may log mine sometime to check requested.
The only critisism I'd say about mine is its very crackly coming off idle.
You'd think it was advanced up too much.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Glad you got sorted mate.
I may log mine sometime to check requested.
The only critisism I'd say about mine is its very crackly coming off idle.
You'd think it was advanced up too much.

Cheers. Yeah worth a log. I still want to log my EGTs just to make sure. Especially as now I can pull all the way to 5k rpm and beyond. Need to make sure I'm not frying the engine.

What do you mean crackling off idle? Sounds odd.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Crackling is probably the wrong word. (Predictive text)
What I mean is the engine not is very cracky like diesel crack most noticeable just off idle. Once moving its as quiet as before but pulling away there's definitely more diesel knock than before.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Crackling is probably the wrong word. (Predictive text)
What I mean is the engine not is very cracky like diesel crack most noticeable just off idle. Once moving its as quiet as before but pulling away there's definitely more diesel knock than before.

Ah I see. Wouldn't know where to start on that one...
Odd. Bit too hefty on the low-load fueling?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Don't know mate.
I look at my dyno graph and can't workout if its good or not????
Any input?
null-7.jpg

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Posted it on the golf mk6 forum
http://www. golf gti forum .co.uk/index.php?topic=255378.20
Without the spaces as this forum just blanks it out.
So far people say it looks very good

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
If you decide for stg2, ask Dave to try what he did to my map. My second map is infinitely better than the first one he put on. ...partially due to the issues this thread was raised for :)

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I eventually got round to contacting Dave at Sedox lastnight regarding how cracky my car is on pulling away and initial revving and awaiting a reply.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I eventually got round to contacting Dave at Sedox lastnight regarding how cracky my car is on pulling away and initial revving and awaiting a reply.

Well he fixed mine up good and proper, so you should get a decent reply.
Granted mine was obviously requesting too much boost. So got it all sorted for free (I'd expect no less!!)

The new map is night/day with the old one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well I've had a reply and he says that timing etc isn't altered until 30% throttle or something like that.
I'm gonna log mine and my dads cr170 and check timing etc.
If I don't get any resolution then it'll either be flashed to standard by vw or a Revo or apr map when available.
Time will tell.

I'm off for a few days soon so I may even post a video for you to hear it.

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Well I've had a reply and he says that timing etc isn't altered until 30% throttle or something like that.
I'm gonna log mine and my dads cr170 and check timing etc.
If I don't get any resolution then it'll either be flashed to standard by vw or a Revo or apr map when available.
Time will tell.

I'm off for a few days soon so I may even post a video for you to hear it.

Yeah quite curious.
It's true that its mapped to only kick in at a certain level of load.
I just had Mark sit next to me in the car with VCDS and he bookmarked some points where the car was being funny. Dave looked at the stats, found the prob, fixed it.
So before remapping/back to stock, ask for a diagnostic run.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
It's awkward with working shifts and communicating via pm but I do wonder if I'm going to get fobbed off!!
This was the last reply I have

Yes, all is fine, compared the changes to our base map and 5 other 170cr tunes we have done and its all well within spec.

Is it only at idle and pulling away?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
It's awkward with working shifts and communicating via pm but I do wonder if I'm going to get fobbed off!!
This was the last reply I have

Yes, all is fine, compared the changes to our base map and 5 other 170cr tunes we have done and its all well within spec.

Is it only at idle and pulling away?

I call. Really you need to get Mark on the line. He's a little more "customer savvy". While you want to get Dave to actually read the logs/ do the work

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.