valve stem seals or turbo valve seals gone ?

jaydenturbo

Mar 24, 2013
hi all well my blue smoke problem is worse it does it most the time on start up (more white than blue but blues definatly in there), when pulling off when in traffic queues, when pulling off at the lights, oil level definatly going down alot keep having to top the oil up weekly cars running well though turbo kicks in as it should. no blue smoke when actually driving had a friend check behind me so my question is is it either valve stem seals or turbo valve seals or even the rings any ideas or ways off telling would be great cheers

elyscum

I had a similar problem to yours would smoke when stuck in traffic or at the lights but not under load seemed to boost ok to but after changing A few bits it turned out to be a knackered turbo

jaydenturbo

Mar 24, 2013
how did you find out it was a knackered turbo mate any tests or symptoms to look out for ?

elyscum

Loads of oil in intercooler pipe was using oil like petrol coming to the end of its life

Valve Stem Seals: Usually more apparent on overun after boost. Drive hard and if ,when you let off, on the run down there's blue smoke, it's probably valve stem seals.

Turbo Seals: Usually most apparent on boost, check IC hoses as suggested. I know when I ran around in the Jap import crowd, cars running higher boost on stock turbos would often blow oil past the seals. This could be overcome by running slightly heavier weight oil. 10W40 instead of 5W40 say... not sure how this would work with VAG specific oils etc though.

bo!

Oct 12, 2012
Hi.
did you solve the issue regarding the blue smoke jydonturbo.
I have a similar problem with my leon cupra 1.8T. for a couple of years get the occasional puff of blue smoke .but since I put a 3"decat on the car it smokes a lot more mostly after long periouds of engine vacuum.when reversing 80% of the time i get blue smoke .And also if i start the car with a warm engine after it being left for a couple hours.It hasnt smoked on cold start since I put the decat on all though it did used to before I removed the cat. it hadnt for some time tho.i have been told it could be turbo seals or possibly valve stem seals ?
I also noticed it smoking blue when going up a hill but wasnt realy on boost becouse I was behind a tractor this has only happened the once tho...does this sound more like stem oil seals or turbo seals ?
I have had a compression test about a year ago and all was ok the smoking was annoying before .but now its worrying.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members