Installing LED footwells (A sort of guide)

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
Interesting! Keep up the good work guys!

Let me know how you get on with the white led's on the doors!

I'm just looking at ordering the rest of my interior led's so should have that extra spare one free for you soon enough too!

I ordered a whole kit last night from partsulike.co.uk £19.99 with free delivery :)

Thing is Dave from that site e-mailed me back and said small problem with the site so order the Ibiza kit and leave a note saying u require a leon kit (u can leave a note at payment stage)

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
Not the easiest to do! Here is an old picture I've dug out.

94fab995.jpg

Hey rob, that looks really good mate but as u have said its a difficult job even with ur knowledge, I think I'll give it a miss besides I don't mind the red lights anyway.
I do tho like the foot wells lit up as u have done and now jimbobcook has too so will probably tackle this at some point...........

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
I took my front speakers out last night without the door card coming off... Guide on the faq section I think...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Cool I didn't realise u could take them out without taking door cards off now that is handy to know!

I think the seat speakers are ok if set up well, as well as u can with a standard head unit that is :)

Now my question is guys has anyone changed their standard speakers for something the same size that will fit behind the standard speaker cover?
If so what brand did u go for?
Also do they sound good without an amp (run just off the standard set up and head unit)

I like the look of those head units that have the satnav built in and u can connect a camera for reversing.......... Think kenwood do one but I don't know much about them, so if anyone has installed one could u please shed some light on if they are easy to fit and if they're any good?

Lastly I'm thinking I need a good small sub in the boot just to add that nicer punchy sound (I'm not a sad youngster who has music at full volume going up and down the sea front 300 times a day) but I like good quality sound!
Now when I say sub in the boot I really can't loose any space in the boot (I have a kid) but looking in the boot there's a small space each side (where the light is) and I wonder if I could make up a small install for each side and mount in these gaps. Have to have the amp mounted on the back of a seat. This would leave pretty much all of the boot space so long as u can still leave access to the tail lights that is..........

Has anybody tried this idea out?

Sorry to ramble on and completely change subject from led lighting to ice but am really contemplating trying this idea out.

Any comments/ideas on this would be great cheers.

P.s I couldn't be a youngster as my insurance for my cupra is only just over £200 lol

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Afew people have done custom installs (robthebubble?) . Smaller speaker on the drivers side by the looks of it.

The kenwood units are spot on, as are the genuine seat/vw units. You could go for an underseat subwoofer maybe, or a 10" sub thats easily removable.

My youngest child is 3 now so I have space for a 15" sub (^o^)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Rob_Talisman

MKII CR FR 170 FL Stage 2
Sep 2, 2013
North East
Well fook me. Took me 2.5 - 3 hours to do drivers side but here you go.

usery8y8.jpg

ne6a8aha.jpg

ytapu3ed.jpg

9etyba7a.jpg

yvypuqyg.jpg

Puts out quite a bit of light.

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
Afew people have done custom installs (robthebubble?) . Smaller speaker on the drivers side by the looks of it.

The kenwood units are spot on, as are the genuine seat/vw units. You could go for an underseat subwoofer maybe, or a 10" sub thats easily removable.

My youngest child is 3 now so I have space for a 15" sub (^o^)

Yeah heard that the kenwood units are good but which model should I be looking at?

Actually many years ago I had a massive double sub box with 2 15" Hollywood subs and it had a quick release lead to it, so could do that but I think I'd rather get a permanent 10" each side built in if I can.............

Under the seat, hmmmm be like a massage chair ;)

Cheers for input

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
Christ that do give out a lot of light pal!
U wired up to the interior lights or sidelights?

Only another 9hours and the whole car will be done lol
Looks good mate

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Adzabout,

Any modern kenwoods. They don't look out of place (designed for seat/vw) i have a dnx520vbt its a good unit, pretty much has everything. I paid 500 2 years ago but should be half that now maybe?

Last edited:

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Alas I have installed a sub and box....and I have 2 boys (not to squeeze in the boot but they would fit!) and there is loads of room for the bugaboo bee...not a small pushchair! Now just to let you know, the standard headunit is crap, the speakers aren't much better but you can replace the door speakers by either a straight swap or there is a plastic adapter to keep them set deeper in the door (from what I recall...loads of threads on it). What I have done is replace the standard headunit, kept the original door speakers but added a sub. The sound is so much better and didn't cost me much as the box was custom made in my garage by buying a JBL bass tube off eBay and calculating the volume of the tube and applying it to a custom box...just reused the speakers and amp and job done.
82c68d2e0923c9b92ddaff2ebe5bba96.jpg

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
To the interior lights they fade on n off. Footwells are to the main front lights

Pretty dam good mate something I'll probably add to my motor at some point, think cars should come as standard like that really perhaps not quite as bright tho lol

U got any pics on step by step how u did it bud?

Adzabout,

Any modern kenwoods. They don't look out of place (designed for seat/vw) i have a dnx520vbt its a good unit, pretty much has everything. I paid 500 2 years ago but should be half that now maybe?

Cheers mate will check out ur model, did u fit urself?

Last edited:

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
Alas I have installed a sub and box....and I have 2 boys (not to squeeze in the boot but they would fit!) and there is loads of room for the bugaboo bee...not a small pushchair! Now just to let you know, the standard headunit is crap, the speakers aren't much better but you can replace the door speakers by either a straight swap or there is a plastic adapter to keep them set deeper in the door (from what I recall...loads of threads on it). What I have done is replace the standard headunit, kept the original door speakers but added a sub. The sound is so much better and didn't cost me much as the box was custom made in my garage by buying a JBL bass tube off eBay and calculating the volume of the tube and applying it to a custom box...just reused the speakers and amp and job done.
82c68d2e0923c9b92ddaff2ebe5bba96.jpg

Hi rob,
Blood hell is there anything u don't know ;)
That's exactly what I had in mind mate, take it the sub/subs are within the new box? I ask cos thought the front of the speaker would need to be exposed for better clarity and wondered if u might have sub at the side of boot?
Great idea with getting a tube and changing it, do the jbl come with an amp built in?
Will definitely upgrade the head unit, so as ur using standard speakers are they running off a seperate amp or just off the new head unit?

It can be done DIY easy enough, but its always good to have a guiding hand!

I'll ask robthebubble to be my guide [B)] lol

Ill do a guide when i do passenger side

Nice one mate will be interesting to see how it's done.......

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Subs dont have to be exposed, low frequency is good at that. Obviously a port helps matters. Bandpass i think its called

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.