LED hightlights

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
@StevenM, I am a happy man because of you. Finally I managed to properly raise the beam and adjust the horizontal position too, since I fu**ed it up last time. Now it's perfect and I am one happy camper. Thank you again:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Low beam:
o6ywpw.jpg

High beam:
zl24d2.jpg

Low beam from further away:
feq4gh.jpg

Nice, sharp line on the wall, pillars:
28sy4uh.jpg

Low beam on the road:
e9eo8o.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
Looks more like an underground carpark to me. And the last pic looks like my lights on the road on normal beam. Car is only ever on low beam in lit areas or when there's another car in front anyway. Otherwise it switches itself to full beam if there's no other light sources around. I think simonali' s have a fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
last photo looks amazing. they are SO bright. That WAS full beam, yes?
And your garage looks HUGE....:)

What can I say, I'm rich:D. Well, I wish:D. I wish the garage was mine and all the cars in it:D.

It was low beam,it just looks like that because of other cars maybe. Here's one which is darker but it's not that dark in reality, it's brighter, mobile phone can't take nice pictures in the dark plus a car is flashing the camera with lights.
zltd3q.jpg

Last edited:

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Must say I thought my lights were ok but never had much range on low beam, yours look far better in those pics, maybe a word with my dealer is in order to get my beams adjusted up a bit.

Mine also seem especially bad on wet roads

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Looks more like an underground carpark to me. And the last pic looks like my lights on the road on normal beam. Car is only ever on low beam in lit areas or when there's another car in front anyway. Otherwise it switches itself to full beam if there's no other light sources around. I think simonali' s have a fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

you know, I had spotted the fact that this was in a car park:)
unless he's Jay leno on spring clean day!

drykoke

Oct 31, 2013
What can I say, I'm rich:D. Well, I wish:D. I wish the garage was mine and all the cars in it:D.

It was low beam,it just looks like that because of other cars maybe. Here's one which is darker but it's not that dark in reality, it's brighter, mobile phone can't take nice pictures in the dark plus a car is flashing the camera with lights.

Wow, that low beam looks so much better than mine!

Gartner - did you have turn the up/dpwn screw many times round or is a small rotation sufficient to make a big difference in elevation and range?

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
Wow, that low beam looks so much better than mine!

Gartner - did you have turn the up/dpwn screw many times round or is a small rotation sufficient to make a big difference in elevation and range?

I did about 3 or 4 short counterclockwise turns on each side - with a little bit of adjustment to catch an equal height on both sides. They raise pretty quick.
But remember, the inner lower ones are for vertical aiming, the outer upper ones are for horizontal.
Screws for vertical aiming are much more easy to access, while the screws for horizontal aiming are a little bit deeper, so you'll need a longer screwdriver for those. But the vertical ones are really easy to access.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I did about 3 or 4 short counterclockwise turns on each side - with a little bit of adjustment to catch an equal height on both sides. They raise pretty quick.
But remember, the inner lower ones are for vertical aiming, the outer upper ones are for horizontal.
Screws for vertical aiming are much more easy to access, while the screws for horizontal aiming are a little bit deeper, so you'll need a longer screwdriver for those. But the vertical ones are really easy to access.

Hi gartner, am getting little confused now. Are you saying that the official instructions from the manual ARE correct after all ie 1 is for horizontal (up and down) adjustment.Steven m seemed to they are wrong which would surprise me but strange things happen to manuals.
You also say that both sides are turned counter clockwise to raise. Was that 3 or 4 complete 360 degree turns?
Thanks for your pioneering help

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
Hi gartner, am getting little confused now. Are you saying that the official instructions from the manual ARE correct after all ie 1 is for horizontal (up and down) adjustment.Steven m seemed to they are wrong which would surprise me but strange things happen to manuals.
You also say that both sides are turned counter clockwise to raise. Was that 3 or 4 complete 360 degree turns?
Thanks for your pioneering help

Hi.

No, the picture you posted in post #37 is NOT correct. 1 is horizontal adjuster(left/right) and 2 is vertical adjuster(up/down).

horizontal_vertical.png

I did 3, 4 small turns, not 3 turns of 360 degree. Maybe all 3-4 turns make it 360 degree, so it really don't need much turning to lift the beam. Put the car 10 meters against the wall and turn it just a bit and you can obviously see the change:).

Last edited:

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Interesting thread,

So far adjusted a few cupra's with led lights (whicht isn't too hard too hard).
I looked at the posted pictures and real life comparison an so far I really like led lights under perfect conditions.
On dry roads they perform well on wet surfaces and rainy conditions however they loose big time from most stock HID lights and even som Halogen setups.
Guess the reason is that the extreme white led light isn't ideal compared to other 4xxx k light setups (at least for me)

But as with all new developments I believe Led will have the near future.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Hi.

No, the picture you posted in post #37 is NOT correct. 1 is horizontal adjuster(left/right) and 2 is vertical adjuster(up/down).

horizontal_vertical.png

I did 3, 4 small turns, not 3 turns of 360 degree. Maybe all 3-4 turns make it 360 degree, so it really don't need much turning to lift the beam. Put the car 10 meters against the wall and turn it just a bit and you can obviously see the change:).

Well thanks so much to StevenM and gartner. That's really helpful. I wonder if the admins should make this piece of info a sticky to save hours of endless fun.

It might also explain why others lamps are so out of alignment if the PDI guys are following the SEAT/VW/ instructions in their official manual. Mind you they'd have to be using the rough guess method rather than a beam alignment tool. There again.......

Last edited:

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
^^^^ Nice pic gartner.

What can be confusing is stating horizontal/vertical, rather than up/down and left/right.

No.1 moves the vertical beam left to right.

No.2 moves the horizontal beam up and down.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
^^^^ Nice pic gartner.

What can be confusing is stating horizontal/vertical, rather than up/down and left/right.

The manual is clear though

1 - Height adjuster screw
2 - Lateral adjustment screw

And clearly WRONG!

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
The manual is clear though

1 - Height adjuster screw

2 - Lateral adjustment screw

And clearly WRONG!

Which is strange, not just because it is wrong, is that my manual makes no mention of the adjusters and just says they are self levelling. I assumed the picture from the manual was for the halogen headlights.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Which is strange, not just because it is wrong, is that my manual makes no mention of the adjusters and just says they are self levelling. I assumed the picture from the manual was for the halogen headlights.

Agreed nothing in the car handbook. The diagram is from the official workshop manual!

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
Agreed nothing in the car handbook. The diagram is from the official workshop manual!

Christ alive, there is no hope!

I spoke to a numpty at a local dealer yesterday about a price for adjusting my beam and if they have a different procedure for the LEDs. I explained that I may have to assist with the left/right adjustment due to my fecked adjuster, which fell on deaf ears, and was told I would have to book it for an MOT slot and they can only adjust them up and down!

I got a price on a new lamp too...

£580 odd quid plus VAT!

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
^^^^ Nice pic gartner.

Now it's even more confusing:D.

Vertical is the Y axis(up/down), horizontal is the X axis(right/left).

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
:D

Okay I'll simplify my post.

The definitive guide for LEDs...

No.1 left/right

No.2 up/down

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.