Should I worry about this??? Water goes through bonnet

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Hello,

Can anyone with a Ibiaz 6J pre restyling confirm that after washing the if there is any water in this location?

slide_image_68809_WM.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I suppose it isn't normal because I had 2 pumps replaced so maybe it's the water?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Yes that was what I was meaning, there has been no attempt by Seat to seal that area up from water getting near it.

Do you have a 6J? Do you notice water there too?

I'm asking because I had an acident 2 years ago with this car and I don't know if it was repaired properly....

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, I am currently "minding" my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza S/C and have noticed water on and around the power steering fluid reservoir, but I will check up to see exactly how bad it gets when I next wash that car, and report back.

Just a comment on how much/little Seat work on avoiding water getting into places under the bonnet - a friend at work has a 2011 Leon 1.2TSI, it developed an ignition problem, the dealer discovered that due to a poor design, water was dripping down from the trailing edge of the bonnet and ending up on top of the "old school" coil pack that that engine has - and had caused tracking/corrosion and had destroyed that coil pack, he had to pay for a new coil pack, but Seat addressed the issue that caused this problem. In my mind a bit silly as if there had not been water dripping down on this coil pack it would not have failed at this time, but there you go, good old Seat!

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Yes, I am currently "minding" my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza S/C and have noticed water on and around the power steering fluid reservoir, but I will check up to see exactly how bad it gets when I next wash that car, and report back.

Just a comment on how much/little Seat work on avoiding water getting into places under the bonnet - a friend at work has a 2011 Leon 1.2TSI, it developed an ignition problem, the dealer discovered that due to a poor design, water was dripping down from the trailing edge of the bonnet and ending up on top of the "old school" coil pack that that engine has - and had caused tracking/corrosion and had destroyed that coil pack, he had to pay for a new coil pack, but Seat addressed the issue that caused this problem. In my mind a bit silly as if there had not been water dripping down on this coil pack it would not have failed at this time, but there you go, good old Seat!

Thank you!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Did anyone tried it meanwhile?

Not yet, it seems to be raining most of the time here in Scotland - no wonder we are grumpy!! I should wash that car within the next few days.

I really do not think there is much to worry about if water gets into that area of the car, it was Skoda Fabia that had most problems because the early supplier of the power steering system fitted a soundproof cover to the pump assembly - which acted like a sponge and held water for ever in UK sorts of climate - so corrosion played a big part in the failure of these early Koyo systems .

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Not yet, it seems to be raining most of the time here in Scotland - no wonder we are grumpy!! I should wash that car within the next few days.

I really do not think there is much to worry about if water gets into that area of the car, it was Skoda Fabia that had most problems because the early supplier of the power steering system fitted a soundproof cover to the pump assembly - which acted like a sponge and held water for ever in UK sorts of climate - so corrosion played a big part in the failure of these early Koyo systems .

I guess maybe even rain gets inside but I didn't had rain since I started checking this so I can't be sure.
I will wash my car and post some pictures today.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Looks like there is some resin in the power suplly cable... Wich they put in the last pump change because I know it was not there before, maybe to protect from water? You can see the water running down the reservoir and weting the plugs...

IMG_20150801_164033.jpg

And there is a picture viewed from above

IMG_20150801_163741.jpg

The other side is the same...

IMG_20150801_163822.jpg

And a video:

http://videos.sapo.pt/UAgS1cyayMfVYIYmr4d7

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have just washed the Ibiza, first I wet it all over using a hose, checked under the bonnet and some water was on the reservoir cap and round about that area. After washing it and spraying with water form a hose, again I checked under the bonnet and more water had got in. It was originally dry under there even although I think that it rained over night and daytime temperature, was only about 14C at the time I started washing the car.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I have just washed the Ibiza, first I wet it all over using a hose, checked under the bonnet and some water was on the reservoir cap and round about that area. After washing it and spraying with water form a hose, again I checked under the bonnet and more water had got in. It was originally dry under there even although I think that it rained over night and daytime temperature, was only about 14C at the time I started washing the car.

Bad SEAT design then.
Thank you!

DonCarlos

El Salvador Pimp Daddy
Jul 31, 2015
On the Farm
I spray (standard trigger spray bottle) the entire engine bay (done when the engine bay is all dry) with duck oil (google it) it stops corrosion, stops moisture penetration, seals, prevents rust, helps damp starts etc etc - obviously it burns off any very hot surfaces. Done this over the years with many cars and vans, keeps the engine bay in good condition, water that does get in just runs off.

It is also good for cleaning engine bays too. Spray on, agitate with brush (use a standard 99p washing up brush) then spray on a detergent (I have a bottle of left over motorcycle cleaner, which is brilliant for engine bays) agitate again and rise off with hose (don't blast it or you'll get heavy over spray on the wings and windscreen), all the crud, muck, gunk, crap etc will rinse away leaving a film of duck oil in it's place. Can then be treated with a fresh spray of duck oil. I give the wings, bumper and windscreen a good soapy wash afterwards. Be sure to hose the ground afterwards for treading the crap into your home.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I spray (standard trigger spray bottle) the entire engine bay (done when the engine bay is all dry) with duck oil (google it) it stops corrosion, stops moisture penetration, seals, prevents rust, helps damp starts etc etc - obviously it burns off any very hot surfaces. Done this over the years with many cars and vans, keeps the engine bay in good condition, water that does get in just runs off.

It is also good for cleaning engine bays too. Spray on, agitate with brush (use a standard 99p washing up brush) then spray on a detergent (I have a bottle of left over motorcycle cleaner, which is brilliant for engine bays) agitate again and rise off with hose (don't blast it or you'll get heavy over spray on the wings and windscreen), all the crud, muck, gunk, crap etc will rinse away leaving a film of duck oil in it's place. Can then be treated with a fresh spray of duck oil. I give the wings, bumper and windscreen a good soapy wash afterwards. Be sure to hose the ground afterwards for treading the crap into your home.

That's a patch to a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.
I believe that SEAT should have done better in this aspect. Looks like they put design above functionality in this case...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise