1.6 tdi coolant loss

Feb 13, 2020
I have a 2011 seat Ibiza 1.6 tdi. The engine has started to loose all coolant when up to temperature. the car will run and the coolant stays at a normal level in the header tank but when run for 10 minutes or so it will lose all coolant. I'm assuming this is something to do with the thermostat opening when the engine is up to temp? I've not been under the car to check where the leak is but would like some advice as to the location of the thermostat. After a bit of research it seems that units part of a plastic manifold on the front left of the engine? also if its not that I'm wondering if its the water pump and if anyone could tell me where to locate this on the block?

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
How many times have you refilled it?

After 10/15 minutes of running if leaking you'll see steam from the source (in this cold weather)

Is your interior heating a consistent temperature?

What's your temperature gauge showing?

Any creamy mayo looking sludge under the oil cap?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2020
Coolant light came up on my way home from work one morning and I stopped at Asda to buy coolant so I could make it home. I think the light came on again just before I got home (15-20miles later) I filled it up again and then it was left for a week or 2 over Christmas. When I came back to it the coolant hadn't dropped, took it for a drive round the block and its lost it all again. So been refilled 2 times I think.

The heating was running fine up until then, I've not really run the car enough to check since it first happening.

Oil cap is fine, that's one of the first things I checked.

With it being Christmas and the car only used as a daily by me for commuting (its a bit of a shed) its not really been necessary as weve been using our other car.

I intend to have a good look at it tomorrow, so I'll fill it up and wait and see where it comes out I suppose! 😂

Thanks for your response :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members