Cupra 280 gearbox issues

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Got my car booked in for the 29th October with the Stealer.

My gearbox (6-speed DSG) isn't acting right.

There's two issues:

1. When I come to a dead stop, say at the traffic lights, the revs rise to 2000rpm on their own and then settle down;
2. The gearbox is making a whining noise at lower speeds (please, no jokes about immigrants getting in at Calais).

Issue 2 is probably the bearings (and to me, this isn't the most pressing issue).

But issue 1? The master technician who I took out said it might be the throttle controller.

A bit more about issue 1:

It only happens when I come to a stop. It's been happening for a week. At first I thought it was me touching the throttle by accident, but it wasn't. It only happens in 1st gear, not reverse. It happens 8 times out of 10. The master technician said it isn't in any way normal.

I'm not going to speculate any more than I have done. The car is under warranty and I'm not remapped, so everything will be done for free - there's obviously something wrong with it because I've never experienced it before in any DSG.

Also, funny story - when I went into my Stealer (I just dropped in, no appointment) the manager said he couldn't get anyone to look at my car until late October - I couldn't even get a technician to come out with me there and then. So I displayed by frustration and told him he was being ridiculous. But then the bombshell: the manager asked what Ibiza it was. I said it isn't - it's a Cupra 280. The look on the manager's face was priceless, he apologised to me and got the technician right away. So it really does pay to have a top of the range car :lol:

Last edited:

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
In terms of the DSG there are no serviceable items on the box at a dealer level so chances are they will get major unit authority and replace it (boxes are sealed units so cant even strip them down)

Issue one Is not one I've come across before but it does sound a lot like the engine is adjusting the RPM to prevent a stall now maybe this is because of issue number 2 maybe it's not without the car in front off me would really just be speculating.

jaba101

Jun 16, 2008
South West
I had issue 1 myself after numerous visits to the stealers they ended up putting a new map file other car which incidentally was the same file as a 2015 Golf R lol

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
It's normal both of them.

Ever driven a car with a sequential gearbox or a motorbike? they whine like hell. DSG is very similar.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
It's normal both of them.

Ever driven a car with a sequential gearbox or a motorbike? they whine like hell. DSG is very similar.

Yes, I have, and they do whine. But mine is getting louder and more obtrusive.

And I completely disagree with issue 1. It isn't normal at all, and the master technician at Seat said the very same thing. That's why he told me to book it in and that's why I have done. The key point here is that it only started happening in the past couple of weeks out of over 20,000 miles on the road.

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
I am sometimes experiencing a delay when going WOT, when pulling the stalk to shift from 3rd to 4th nothing happens (around 6000rpm) then at 6500 or so it shift. Letting the car shift by itself it's also an hesitation from 3rd to 4th. It's not as smooth / fast as 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th.

Sent using my fingers

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
The only recognizable issue (well it is not) I have too is the wining in first gear.
It is normal, I compared it with at least 3 other 280's and the former 1P 2.0 TFSI with DSG has it also and all other VAG products with the 6-speed DSG have it too.
But it wines only at low revs in 1st gear and it's just normal.
The dealer can reset the DSG computer so it will start it's learning curve again maybe the solution for the stopping issue.
The 6-speed DSG gearboxes are known for their error free operation and their reputation is very good, this in contrast to the MQ200 7-speed DSG gearbox.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.