Squeaky noise from DSG gearbox

Koulou

Apr 11, 2022
London, UK
Hey folks. Yesterday, I started having an issue with a squeaky sound coming from the DSG gearbox of my 2016 Leon 1.4 EcoTSI 150 FR. The car has ~32K miles on the clock. After some research online, it doesn't seem to be unique to me. The sound comes for sure from the gearbox area, occurs when I pull away (especially if it is uphill) and when the 3rd gear is engaged. This made me think that it might be coming from the odd gear's clutch. I didn't film a video of the noise, but it is the same as this one. I understand that my car has the DSG DQ200 with dry clutches, which might not be the most reliable.

To add some details about the car, I bought it as an approved used from a Seat dealer in March 2022, and the provided warranty ends in ~40 days. I noticed the sound for the first time a few miles after I received the car from its yearly service (a "major" one at this time) and MOT check in a Seat dealer, which makes me sceptical. Could the issue be somehow caused by the dealer during the service and MOT check?

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I had a similar noise but much louder when my car was fairly new, I only noticed it twice, both times on a fairly hot day moving from standstill on a hill.

Koulou

Apr 11, 2022
London, UK
Thanks for your response, @Walone. What model is yours? Have you noticed any issues apart from this noise twice?

The issue seems to be related to the temperature indeed. Today I noticed that the squeak starts only after I drive for some time - the gearbox is completely silent when it is cold. I'm afraid this may make troubleshooting trickier.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thanks for your response, @Walone. What model is yours? Have you noticed any issues apart from this noise twice?

The issue seems to be related to the temperature indeed. Today I noticed that the squeak starts only after I drive for some time - the gearbox is completely silent when it is cold. I'm afraid this may make troubleshooting trickier.
I have 2016MY 1.4ACT FR ST, i've only done 32,000 miles in the 8+ years i've had it. Not had any other issues with the DSG, touch wood!!

Koulou

Apr 11, 2022
London, UK
So... I dropped my car at the dealership this morning, although the squeaky noise has gone. I provided a video showing the noise, although it was not as loud as it had been initially; an engineer who watched it agreed that the noise is indeed obvious and does not sound normal. However, the root cause is not obvious and they are not sure what they will manage to do with the noise gone.

They also said that it may not be covered by the warranty; they will have to contact Seat UK if the issue is diagnosed. Let's see..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.