Hunting Revs at idle; Cupra 280

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
Went out for a good long drive today, and noticed an oddity:
When pulling up at lights, with foot firmly on brake pedal & auto stop off, the revs would climb to about 2k, then fall back & repeat. It would do it 9 times out of 10 stops, and nothing I could do from the driving seat seemed to stop it.

Any ideas, or is a trip to the stealers inevitable?

Last edited:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I'm sure I've read about this on the forum a while back. I cant remember the root cause but a search of the forum should throw up something.

SteJP

Jan 24, 2015
Went out for a good long drive today, and noticed an oddity:
When pulling up at lights, with foot firmly on brake pedal & auto stop off, the revs would climb to about 2k, then fall back & repeat. It would do it 9 times out of 10 stops, and nothing I could do from the driving seat seemed to stop it.

Any ideas, or is a trip to the stealers inevitable?

I get this too when car crawls it goes up to like 2 then goes down then back up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
There is definitely a thread on this. Who ever it was took it back to the dealer and got it sorted.

Possibly a software update but I can't be 100% sure.

hc25036

Mar 13, 2015
I get exactly the same in my manual FR 150 ACT. Most obvious in stop-start traffic - engage clutch to get the car moving at low speed then drop the clutch to slow down or roll at low speed. Revs jump to 2000rpm (independent of throttle position) and if that happens just as you re-engage the clutch life becomes very interesting for a moment!

Last edited:

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
As it turns out, it seems I seem to have lost my oil filler cap! A wonderful mess to clean up after 50 miles of driving without it.. I'm sure I tightened it properly after topping up with oil on Friday. :whistle:

New one ordered - will see if that fixes the issue.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.