Front LEDS performance question

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
To people who have issues with their led headlights - I had an issue yesterday and would like to know if it's what you experience everyday. My headlights have always been good and never had a problem with brightness or levelling and always wondered what people are complaining about.
Basically early yesterday morning whilst on the way to work it seemed like the headlights hadn't auto levelled from start, I got onto a country lane and noticed that my lights were pointing pretty much at the ground, only illuminating about 3m in front of the car, today however they were fine projecting far into the distance.

Is this problem (the pointing at the ground) what you experience permanently? If this happens again I'll grab pictures to show the difference.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
My only issue is that lights are falling down with time.
Mine lights auto-level every time, correctly set to the "highest" position when empty car (when full loaded of course lower), but the highest position when empty is falling down with time. Once per 6 months I have to manually bring them back up.
It looks like screw holding position is too weak and with shaking on the road its unscrewing and lights are slowly falling down..

Last edited:

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Hi guys there is TPI from seat as this is know fault especially true the low temperature

Technical product information 9415, 5F, LED headlight, light beam initially low at ambient temperatures below 0ºC

Figure 1: Example of the left headlight light beam lower down.
35choi9.png

Transaction No.:*2040800/1
Release date:*15-Jun-2015

Customer statement: Occasionally the LED headlight beam stays low when inserting the keys and adjusting the height for the first time.
Workshop findings: The client reports that when switching on the lights for the first time after completing the initial automatic light beam height adjustment in one or both LED headlights they remain low. The next time they are switched on the height is re-established and corrected. Technical background This anomaly is produced sporadically after parking the vehicle for some time at low temperatures (below 0ºC) and switching on the height-regulating lights for the first time (see Figure 1).

Basically service should be flash new software for lowering control unit

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
To people who have issues with their led headlights - I had an issue yesterday and would like to know if it's what you experience everyday. My headlights have always been good and never had a problem with brightness or levelling and always wondered what people are complaining about.
Basically early yesterday morning whilst on the way to work it seemed like the headlights hadn't auto levelled from start, I got onto a country lane and noticed that my lights were pointing pretty much at the ground, only illuminating about 3m in front of the car, today however they were fine projecting far into the distance.

Is this problem (the pointing at the ground) what you experience permanently? If this happens again I'll grab pictures to show the difference.

In short, yes.

Seat like to say that this only happens when it's cold and the car has been parked for a long time, and for the majority of those who have this issue that's true. However, I've had my ST since June 2014 and my car has had this issue throughout that time. I'd say probably 3 in ten starts result in the issue whether cold or not, and nothing the dealership has ever done has resolved the problem. I just learned to live with having to restart it, and then ordered a Works Mini to replace it this time around. Nobody really seems to know what the actual root cause is, other than gremlins.

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire
Had the offside one do it for the first time the other morning. Restarted the car at the first set of traffic lights and all OK.

Not sure what re-flashing the software would do, seems like a hardware issue if it's temperature dependant, and a new headlamp cluster should fix it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members