Feb 10, 2022
Hi All,
During an Mot and service at a none main dealer garage my 2017 Leon Estate excellence flagged up a warning about the low beam level and a generic lighting fault.

The garage connected their diagnostics reader and found a "low beam open circuit fault"

The issue seems to only effect the passengers side headlight.
The DRL seems to work still, neither the low or full beam will illuminate at all and neither does the indicator.

The unit itself is full of condensation, much more than the usual small band at the bottom you often get at this time of year.

The garage who carried out the Mot and service don't really know what to do beyond fitting a new unit (can source an OEM one for around 600 new, or 860 direct from Seat) which they have offered to fit for free.

I've been unable to find many/any threads on this issue that have a resolution.

I have read some posts suggesting that the car puts the headlight into a safety mode when it detects a fault and after swapping the unit it will need to be reprogrammed to re enable the headlight.

While it's a very kind offer, I'm concerned that even if the local garage fit a new unit they don't have the knowledge and/or tools to reprogram the headlight to a none fault state (if this is even required).

Does anybody have any experience with any of this that could offer some advice?

Cheers!

Feb 10, 2022
They do, after seeing the fault code they had it out to look for any obvious damage/issues.

I've used them for a number of years and actually had a timing belt fitted on top of the Mot and service. I think they're feeling sorry for me having to say good by to upwards of £1500

Last edited:

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The prices quoted for the new light unit are much cheaper than you can source at non-trade.

I believe that there is a replaceable control unit on the lamp, but the root cause is probably the water entry. You probably have a small crack or damaged seal somewhere on the unit.

I had a similar fault with an Octavia LED/Xenon unit - the LED did start working again once it had dried out, but was fortunately that it was replaced under warranty.

Feb 10, 2022
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong parts but is this not the correct unit?

The 860 price I quoted was the price the dealers part department quoted me directly when I called to get an idea of the costs (Inc vat)

My main concern at this point is having the local garage fit a replacement unit only to have it taken to the dealers to code the safety mode off to enable the new unit.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Is your car a pre-face lift (2013-2017, separate led indicator from DRL) or post face lift version (2017-2020, combined DRL/indicator and silver decal with Seat lighting)?

Valeo are the OEM supplier to Seat, but the link above is for the pre-face lift version.

Feb 10, 2022
Ahh, I'm post face lift, 17 plate.
A quick Google search for the exact model number from the back of my unit isn't returning much in terms of new replacement units.

The 860 quoted by the dealer was in response to my registration number, is it likely they've also quoted a pre face-lift part?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
The dealer hopefully should be quoting the correct part using the reg, that should be linked to the chassis number rather than guessing at the build year, hopefully I repeat.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.