Engine oil Capacity?1.8T.

Russ_20vt

Kitesurfing nut
Feb 4, 2005
T,Wells. Kent.
Ok ive done lots of searches on this site but have yet to find anything that makes beleive what i read is correct. I changed my oil and filter yesterday and im confused as to what is the correct amount.

The manual says 4 litres

Halfords says 4 litres

Some on here say 4 litres

Some on here say 4.5 litres??

The reason im asking this is after i put the full 4 litres bottle in my car and left it to stand for 10 minutes the dip stick showed a little over max.

i started the car up and let it run till it was up to temperature and then again switched her off and left to stand for 10 minutes. This time checking the dip stick it shows just over min? i understand the oil is now mixed around the engine but surely it shouldnt be down this much? or is it because i should have put 4.5litres in to compensate for the filter change?

Hope ive made sense

Thanks

Russell

Russ_20vt

Kitesurfing nut
Feb 4, 2005
T,Wells. Kent.
So 4.75 is the correct amount?

Off i go to buy more oil, not really driven much so shouldnt have done any damage.

Why doesnt every where else say that its more then 4litres, also what a bitch it was getting the filter out of the engine bay!

Thanks guys

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
I loosen the filter from below with what my old man calls "hens legs" then lift it out from the top. I've removed a lot of brackets and stuff which makes life so much easier. ;)

I got caught out by the 4L thing as well. The first time. bugger.

Russ_20vt

Kitesurfing nut
Feb 4, 2005
T,Wells. Kent.
Yup i loosened the filter from below and went to try and pull it out through the bottom and buggerrr!!!!!! while messing around trying to pull it out most of the contents of the filter went half way down my arm. Then managed to wiggle it out through the top with alot of difficulty and spilling it all over my very clean engine bay. Nightmare!!!!

Well i now know for next time! and ill be filling the .5 litres up tonight!

Thanks

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
The 0.5L goes missing lol, when you start the engine as the oil filter is empty, when you start this fills and retains approx this amount due to the filter is fitted with an NRV(non return valve)this is stop oil starvation on strart up, and stops it draining back to the sump, which is what your dipstick measures,

Deffo 4.5L with oil/filter change done and measured it,because all the mauals talk Sh*ite :rolleyes:on this matter

Sulli

3rd Cupra
4.5 litres, when doing oil and filter, is what the book says, for a 1.8 20VT.
I've just done it this morning, an ended up using 4.25 litres, that brings it right to the max, on the dot - that included priming the filter.
Drained it for 10 minutes, and used 4 litres to prime filter and fill engine. Figured that would be just less than full. Checked it, and was on middle, ran engine for a bit, turned off and checked, was on lower end of dipstick, so used 0.25 litres to take it to top. Ran and checked again after leaving to stand - exactly at upper end on dipstick.
So 4.5 litres is capacity, but there's always some left in when you drain it.

flashbsd

yeah thats if you dont do a filter change, as its already has oil in it (all be it manky stuff), just out of interest, how many litres does the stealers syntra gold come in?

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
Gonna doa oil filter and oil change this weekend and i bought a 4 litre castrol 5w-30 bottle so i guess i need more now!!