130PD Health Checking (+VAG COM)

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Hi All,

After getting my baby back with the new paint job and Cupra front bumper, it seems to have lost some of its bite... The accelleration doesnt seem as aggressive and i got completely spanked by a CC Phase 2 130PD FR.

I have taken the fog light out of the bumper so the intercooler should be breathing fine (same size hole). The pipe coming from the intercooler had a wet patch oil around it which looks to have slightly leaked but was told by a mate "they all leak a bit."

So heres my question - Im going to do some logging, but whats the best thing to look at? Also anything i should check in the bonnet like air filter?

MAF: What should this be roughly, i cant seem to find it on here?
Boost: I know the actual should be around 1.34 BAR@2000rpm without a map, but what about with a DMS Dual system?
EGR: Make sure this is fully closed when booting it?
Intake Temps: Anyone got a graph of these? Ill try to compare this like-for-like in the same gear/road/weather/car.

Anything Else?

Ill post my findings for all to see, itll be nice to get a full set of figures for reference. The car is always run on Shell Diesel Extra and is delicately driven untill the temps are up when i give it an occasional blast out. It also has a de-screened PD160 intake which seemed to make no difference at all.

Last edited:

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
blocks 3, 7, and 11 will tell u everything u need to know , airmass( requested and specified) , boost (same as b4) and intake temps , id recommend logging each block one at a time so u get a good sample rate , 3 or 4th gear from low revs to the redline ,

airflow flow should be 1000+ if ur MAf is healthy , dunno about rempped boost as this will vary from mapper to mapper,

temps go from low to silly high ( 80+) very quickly , il post up pics of logs after i have my dinner fella

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
do me a favor , log me boost actual vs spec ified in block 11 and email me ur log , im seeing spikes in both my maps , the 130 map requests 1.45 occasionally but recieves 1.73, dunno wat this is , my remap requests 1.67 and gets 1.98 bar , wanna see if an untouched 130 has this too cheers , il PM my email addy if thats not too much hassle ,

n good luck

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Well it looks as though ive found my problem! Cheers Stoney...

These are mine and Mike_OBD / JBS_Mike's cars compared on the same roads back to back. Mike has a Custom Code Phase 2 (loadsa boost!), Milltek Downpipe + Decat and Green Panel Filter. I just have a standard DMS Dual System remap.

For those of you running SMIC's and Cupra front bumpers, heres the grim truth of how much its killing you! This is with the Fog light OUT and the towing eye cover also off (max airflow to IC).

Ambient Temp: -1 Deg C, Both runs
Mike Peak: 71C
Mine Peak: 90.9C
Also his settled to around 18C very quickly, whereas mine never wanted to go below 40C!!
IntakeTemps.gif

Heres some more graphs just for reference....

MAF readings of both cars - 3rd gear (Mikes dip is a gear change.) Any idea why my MAF reading is so low when just idling along?? ANything to do with the EGR which ive restricted?

MAF.gif

Heres some Boost raedings. Mike's dip is due to clutch slip and having to back off to let it bite again. :rolleyes: Is this reading in Millibars - surely not??

Boost:
EdMikeBoost.gif

Last edited:

faboka vrs

Mar 26, 2004
Liverpool
Here are some of my results over the weekend.

car fabia vrs with DMS dualsystem.

Difference between the 3 are standard air filter, Green panel and standard + pd160 intake.

Oops hpw do you attach them?

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
If theyre images, set up an account for free with www.photobucket.com

When you upload them, it will give you a link to add to your posts. When making your post just lick on the little image button and paste in the link from Photobucket

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
EdButler said:
For those of you running SMIC's and Cupra front bumpers, heres the grim truth of how much its killing you! This is with the Fog light OUT and the towing eye cover also off (max airflow to IC).

Ambient Temp: -1 Deg C, Both runs
Mike Peak: 71C
Mine Peak: 90.9C
Also his settled to around 18C very quickly, whereas mine never wanted to go below 40C!!

Heres some Boost raedings. Mike's dip is due to clutch slip and having to back off to let it bite again. :rolleyes: Is this reading in Millibars - surely not??
Ed

Yes those boost readings are in millibars.
Am I right in thinking the DMS remap runs stock boost :confused:

If so, I daren't think what intake temps you'd be getting if you were running higher boost :blink:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Heres Faboka_VRS's Logs

Two logs each of:
Green Cotton Air Filter
PD160 Air Intake and Standard Paper Filter
Standard

Maf Readings:
FabMAF.gif

Boost Readings:
FabBoost.gif

BHP Readings:
FabBHP.gif

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
muddyboots said:
Ed

Yes those boost readings are in millibars.
Am I right in thinking the DMS remap runs stock boost :confused:

If so, I daren't think what intake temps you'd be getting if you were running higher boost :blink:

Eek it looks as though your right - is that even possible!?! So does the DMS just change fuelling? It definitely feels as though the remap is "on". When its "off" its dog slow :(

muddyboots said:
Nice graphs, but a little hard to compare without curves on...

Yeah unfortunately i dunno how to do that... :shrug:

I think theyre so hard to compare because theyre so similar - theres barely any difference! The Green filter does seem to hold a slight bit more boost and thats about it

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
EdButler said:
Eek it looks as though your right - is that even possible!?! So does the DMS just change fuelling? It definitely feels as though the remap is "on". When its "off" its dog slow :(
It's looking that way, does it smoke much ?

Might be wrong but I guess the downside is you won't get as good figures as maps where boost is increased, but the upside is less stress on the turbo...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you think about it, crude resistor mods make noticeable power gains simply by adding fuelling. The difference being that resistor mods increase fuelling everywhere and are smoky & idle lumpily, whereas your remap will have much finer control over when the extra fuelling is applied.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
muddyboots said:
It's looking that way, does it smoke much ?
Ooooooohhhhh so that why it smokes a lot :rolleyes: Always thought it did a lil more than the CC remaps. I think my new intake is helping though...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Do you know what sort of figures are claimed/expected from a DMS upgrade ?

And yes, the improved intake won't make much difference to power but does help reduce smoke a little bit, and also a few people (myself included) found it made the engine "smoother" too, especially at lower-rpm light driving.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members