Modded Airbox Logs

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I have a standard Airbox and a modded airbox, for a while I've been wanting to do a back to back test and yesterday I had to pop the standard airbox in.

The standard airbox is, err, standard. The paper filter in it should be fairly new - the standard box goes on when the car is serviced and while the filter isn't spotless it should've been changed last time. I didn't push the 80mm feed into the hole, but sat it in front.

The modded airbox has a larger air feed hole, it's smoothed, a green panel filter and I've de-screened the MAF.

For this test, the DBM, 80mm feed, battery bracket etc all stayed the same. To be clear, I swapped out the whole airbox and MAF, so these tests are on different MAFs.

The standard test was last night, 17:00pm, 21*C, on Optimax, the modded tests were this morning 8:30am, 17* (first run on Optimax, 2&3 on 95). Same settings though B6, T4 (I think). On the 3rd modded run, I didn't really get on it and then had to back off.

Airflow.jpg

Boost.jpg

(Cheers Marts)

If I get really, REALLY bored I might try combinations of green panel/standard airbox and swap the MAFs etc.

Last edited:

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
but what are the chances of both mafs will be operating to the same lengths?

i suppose we've all got our own expected figures so we can safely assume on the results

interested to see the difference but im heading off for inters in 2hrs so Feel hurry up :D

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I mentioned the different MAFs for exactly that reason - trying to be scientific and it's a potential reason for the difference. The difference is quite large though :)

Peak MAF on the standard runs is about 185-187, modded is 207-210. Standard is perhaps a little low for a Revo Stage 1 LCR?

Confirms what I've felt before though - the car is much more eager to jump forward when you boot it.

Last edited:

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
Right, pass me the dremmel :)

That's all much as we discussed at Oulton then. The airbox mod is definately the way forward over the induction kit and gives a decent measurable gain.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I did mine with a stanley knife - run it along the bottom of each "rib" a couple of times then grab the ribs with pliers and snap them off. On the top of the airbox, I only took the crossways ribs out - I left the ones that run parallel to the airflow in.

On the airbox inlet, I just pulled the rubber seal off, and I did file the opening out a little, but the airfeed is actually a little loose in the hole.

Still not sure de-screening the maf is worth it the risk, if you knacker the MAF it's going to cost & there's some potential for the car to run lean, but I had a "free" spare...

andycupra

status subject to change
have to agree that you need to run this using a common maf so you have some sort of 'control'.

it is after all what you are getting the readings from.

This is to show the difference between airboxs, and so thats is the only thing that should be changed.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Martyn said:
smoothed.jpg

Here's a pic of the LCR air box in a smoothed state.

thats my airbox! ;) :whistle:

good to see other ppl getting good gains with their modded airbox! :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.