Claying : 8 easy steps (and 10 handy tips)

fuey

i wana go faster
Jan 12, 2004
north west
uk.geocities.com
Wash car, 2 bucket method, dry with MF cloth.

Next - claying..

1) I use a quarter of a meg's clay bar i got from helfrauds.
2) Warm in 750W microwave for 10 secs (or dump in warm water for abit), and mould to roughly 4 fingers width - it shouldn't be really thin.
3) Apply lube/spray to 2 ft section of car. (bonnet or roof is nice place to test your skills, because clay won't fall on the floor...).
4) Place clay on car, and fingers onto the clay to secure/hold it.
5) Now IN STRAIGHT LINES, move fingers/clay across the lube'd section.
6) You will feel the clay catching now and again as it picks up crud in each clay pass across the lube'd section.
7) If the clay sticks (ie you'll know when it sticks... it's similar to when you move the clay off the lube'd section onto dry paint)... if the clay sticks, spray the section with lube, always keep the working area lube'd.
8) PERIODICALLY, say, when you arm is tired, or clay is too thin... pick up the clay (DO NOT DROP !!!!) and look at the crud, re-mould / fold the clay to get a nice clean section of clay, and repeat (4) onwards.
(clay becomes thin, becuase the mild pressure spreads to clay out towards edges or fingers, so you need to re-mould/shape for a better grip/hold).

When that section does not catch any more, move onto new section and repeat (3) onwards.

Points to note:-
a) If you drop the clay, cry, cos it's ruined (will contain nice grit from the floor, which will scratch the car), grab another quarter of clay, and be more careful.
b) It's not about huge amounts of pressure when claying, just enough not to let it fly off when you're passing the clay across the lube'd section.
c) Stubborn bits, like near the door sills, that might have tar marks, just lube and keep claying, it'll come out, or increase pressure ever-so-slightly... (you could use tar remover, i have, but Iain might think it's wrong).
d) When re-moulding - a great tip that Iain/Andy pointed out, re-mould over the bucket of warm water. That way, it won't fall on the floor, becuase you hand's are covered in lube, and it might slip.
e) Use microfiber to mop up the lube after, and feel the difference.
f) You can't use too much lube (no dodgy comments please).
g) The first time a car is clayed, it normally takes longer, since it's full of 'crud'.
h) Always easier in the shade, since the lube won't dry up. Iain uses 10% car wash solution, so the car's completely soaked, so little chance of it drying up. I only hand a squirty bottle, so claying in one hand, and squirty action in other... :D
i) Keep clay in a sandwich bag, in an air tight box after use, and do not freeze... (all in instructions....). I moisen the clay with lube before I close the lid to stop it drying out.... just in case.
j) You can clay your windscreen if it has tree-sap stains on it, use the same methods.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Nice one, I am looking to have a go at this and have never done it before. Just what I was after!

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
RickC said:
when you have clayed it, is that it? or does it need wiping/polishing off?

The clay doesn't apply a coating or leave anything behind, it's only removing crap from the paintwork. All that remains is the balance of the lube, which just wipes off with a microfibre towel.

fuey

i wana go faster
Jan 12, 2004
north west
uk.geocities.com
MarkE is right. it's just crud removal, but you'll still benefit from paint cleanser after :D
Even after claying, you'll see how nice the finish is straight away.

I've only got AutoGlym Super Resin Polish atm, so that's my all-in-one product to polish+seal the cleaner paint.

Next... depending how far / througher u wana go is:-

de-swirl if needed, way beyond my skills so far
paint cleanser
polish
sealent
wax

Get yourself down to FD's open day, honestly, i'm only trying to remember what Iain has taught me. Invalueble !

Last edited:

Darth Tater

Feb 16, 2006
Kent
Fuey

Nice guide :)

I'm looking to do this soon so looks like a trip to Halfrauds on Sunday for some clay! :funk:

What lube do you use mate (oo er Mrs!) ;)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Fuey

I was told when you get to (8) and before you go back to (4) rinse clay bar in bucket of hot/warm clean water, then remould, then back to (4)

Apparently helps to keep it clean and mallable :shrug: dunno though, what do you think??

Steve

fuey

i wana go faster
Jan 12, 2004
north west
uk.geocities.com
Yeah, makes sense with the washing of clay, don't know how easy it is to wash it properly, but the re-moulding thing would work (which is definitely easier when warm).

I bought the meg's detailing kit, for about £12, came with detailing spray and 3.5 oz bar.

But MotorGeek's DP clay bar is 8 oz, and at £17.45 (excl delivery) it's more for your pennies (you get the spray as a promo extra), so given the choice, I'd go with MotorGeek.

If delivery is alot (I don't actually know), I'd buy some sealent for sure, and some natty-blue wax to top up the order to make it more worth while.

Last edited:

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
fuey said:
Yeah, makes sense with the washing of clay, don't know how easy it is to wash it properly, but the re-moulding thing would work (which is definitely easier when warm).

I bought the meg's detailing kit, for about £12, came with detailing spray and 3.5 oz bar.

But MotorGeek's DP clay bar is 8 oz, and at £17.45 (excl delivery) it's more for your pennies (you get the spray as a promo extra), so given the choice, I'd go with MotorGeek.

If delivery is alot (I don't actually know), I'd buy some sealent for sure, and some natty-blue wax to top up the order to make it more worth while.

said like a pro in the making! :funk:

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
but i dont really see crud as such or am i not looking hard enough,. will this benifit from my car as its new ish paint? or will it do magic on any car?

fuey

i wana go faster
Jan 12, 2004
north west
uk.geocities.com
my amature test was....
feel the paint, then feel some clean glass.
clayed paint actually feels as smooth as glass, i kid you not. (unless your hobby is glass touching, then you might have a different opinion).

not sure on the stance with freshly painted cars.... Iain.... ;)

AshFR

Seat Leon TDi PD150 2005
Mar 10, 2011
Shropshire
photobucket.com
Just clay'd mine with bilt hamber clay. Made a massive different even without the polish lol. Didnt know paint could be so smooth and the colour of the clay after, yuk! Im off out to polish it now anyway. :D

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
but i dont really see crud as such or am i not looking hard enough,. will this benifit from my car as its new ish paint? or will it do magic on any car?

first off - Top guide Fuey!!

no you dont see the 'crud' but you will 'feel' the crud.

next time you've washed/dried off your car, run your fingertips over the paintwork, is there any 'pull' on your fingers?, does the paintwork surface feel 'rough'

if it does, what it is, is all the invisible particulates/pollutants that have been ingrained into the paintwork, such as tree sap, industrial fallout etc.

your paintwork should feel as smooth as glass and claying the paintwork will remove all the ingrained pollution from the paint surface and leave it as smooth as glass ready for the application of polish/wax etc

i clay then like fuey, use Autogym SRP, topped off with a coat of Autoglym HD wax.

the results are awesome!

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
Great guide and thanks for putting this up. Been meaning to give it a go but never really could find good guides.

Do you need any particular lube or does water work just as well?

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Great guide and thanks for putting this up. Been meaning to give it a go but never really could find good guides.

Do you need any particular lube or does water work just as well?

Char,

the clay kits come with a bottle of detailing spray to use as lube.

The more lube The better (ooh err matron) so once you've washed and sprayed off, you don't have to dry it off before using the lube/clay. You can leave the car wet.