£40 to connect to serial port??!!

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
I suppose business is business , they have to make a living. Sounds a bit high, surely someone on here close to you has VAG COM. I would happily do it for free, but im probably too far from you.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Why not buy a cable from Ebay & get the software yourself.

I take it there is some sort of demo (liited day use) sofware you could use ?

How much is VagCom to buy outright ?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yup - unless the VW has 'registered charity' above his door, I wouldn't expect him to put down paying work to diagnose your car.

andycupra

status subject to change
well they are not charging what most do...
sometimes its better to be charged a reasonable amount for everything they do. Rather than have some things done free or cheap, eg mots only to find they find 'things wrong that need doing'.

Although i do side with you that its expensive for what it is.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
How much do you think you should pay to use the man's time, his £500 laptop, the £200 (at least software)?

What do you think is a reasonable rate

andycupra

status subject to change
Well alot of that will depend on what they do afterwards. Ie do they spend time looking at what that is / could be, or do they just read off the faults.
£40 isnt far off what id say is reasonable, taking into account things like laptop and software like you say, £35!? so i guess with things like VAT also taken into account £40 isnt bad at all!?
Perhaps im guilty of camparing 'hassle' factor with other jobs done on cars..

But £65 at a dealer is steep and in many ways a dealer should be able to this cheap due to having the resources, or even to provide a good service post sales.

Perhaps have the cost discounted against any repairs completed by said garage as a result or future service.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise