0-60 mph

affster

hey guys,
just got driven home by my drum teacher who has a seat cupra on a 01 plate. i know the specs say its 0-60 in about 7.9 seconds ( or something like that ) but he tells me he can do it in about 5.5 to 6 seconds (roughly) and that there have been no mods to it......is this really possible. have seen alot do it on youtube aswell. just curious because i cant beleive that seat would get the 0-60 time so wrong on the cars specs.

also quick question, does anyone know which is faster to 60 out of the ibiza cupra or the mg zr 160 vvc,
the specs say the mg does it in 7.3 secs but if seat got it wrong for the ibiza i was just wondering that maybe the mg is faster than it says it is.
many thanx,

A xXx

any ideas would be great,
am new btw

affster

so when a car company releases the 0-60 times are they not necessarily thinking of people accelerating as hard as possible ?
A xXx

affster

sorry about the question, just curious if theyve deffo been modded or not,
also any idea about the cupra vs mg zr 160 ?
A xXx

Dec 3, 2009
I don't think he can do 5.5 -6s in the standard car

RS is 5.9
300 bhp over 1468kg
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 207.64

VXR is 6.2 ?
236 bhp over 1230kg
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 194.95

mk3 cupra
156 bhp over 1116kg
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 141.65

the vxr and rs have much higher ratio to achieve faster 0-60 =]

affster

so it probs hasnt been modded ?
i just dont understand why its so much faster than the claimed time ....

A xXx

affster

ah cool, so how come its so much faster than the time stated by seat themselves ?
A xXx

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It may be helped by him going off a standard speedo, which is up to 10% off. If his 0-55 time only requires one gear change, then yes it could be quite quick. Most car 0-60 times are crippled by the need to shift to third. The good 0-60 cars can do it using only two gears, or sometimes even one if it's powerful and high geared enough.

Book spec 0-60's are actually quite optimistic in my experience, it's acceleration under perfect conditions.

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
your drum teacher probably cant count properly, and his speedo is most likely out. if he actually used a properly calibrated speed gun/trap then he would get a true reading. so it most likely will be closer to the figures stated by seat themselves....

affster

so if i were to buy one just like his (i'm presumig no mods?) it would be just as quick,
its just after being in it i really want one lol.

its just 2.5 seconds off the recorded time seems rather excessive.

A xXx

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.