06 plate 1.4 sport feels flat

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
:funk:Hi people .... not used to this side of the forum..

just bought the Mrs a 06 plate 5door face lift ibiza 1.4 sport......

x1=couple of question .. on test drive it did feel a little flat across the rev range but did pick up around 4k revs?? What i want to no is does this car half a maf?????????? could something be wrong?;)

on the other hand i do have a lcr 265bhp..

and may be thats why it felt so slow????

x2= THE IBIZA 1.4 16V ( DAB) HAVE 100bhp using the same engine,how do i get the mrs ibiza up to DAB perfomance? chip?:rolleyes:

come on boys shed some light on the matter

chris4500uk

Nov 25, 2008
Near Middlesbrough
265bhp with turbo vs ?bhp without, its going to feel a LOT different.

Just watch the fuel consumption and see if its doing anything strange, maybe floor it up a hill and see how it copes?

I think the 100bhp has different internals but I could be wrong, I'm sure a thread somewhere had this on before.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I might be behind the times, but the 1.4 16V 85PS engine is an FSI engine newly launched back in 2001/2 - I would think that the 1.4 16V 100PS is still the old version - ie non FSI - so I'd reckon that while the "size" is roughly the same, they are completely different animals.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
No, I think that there is not much that can be done with the 75PS engine - which is a pain - my wife's previous car was a 1.6SI (Zetec engine) 90PS Fiesta - she spotted the differance right away! You can wind up the 75PS engine though - it just takes times - and there was me thinking that with only 75PS the low range torque would be good - well its not really is it?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
No it's rather crap. I mean, it's fine to bomb around town, and it is fine on country roads when you get used to it.
But try taking over someone when doing 55+... it gets you then.

You think that that is bad, well my wife once had a 1986 1.1 Fiesta L, it was an honest little car that could be pushed a bit, then she got a 1991 1.1 Fiesta Ghia and it felt like it could fly - well that was until you ended up putting that to the test and the huge lumps of low end torque and promise of even more top end power kind of vanished as you went on your first big overtaking stint - that gave me quite a fright it has to be said!!!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Just found out my car is infact the 75bhp version :(

So is it possible to power up that engine to 100bhp? Consider the 75bhp is the none FSI as you said.

Yes swap it for the 1.4TDI

mines gone from 80bhp to around 114bhp with just a Map and PD160 Intake + Greenpanel filter :p

who said petrols where better :p

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes swap it for the 1.4TDI

mines gone from 80bhp to around 114bhp with just a Map and PD160 Intake + Greenpanel filter :p

who said petrols where better :p

Well when my wife thought that she would like a VW Polo to be her next car, she went for a spin in a friend's 1.4TDI Polo/Ibiza (can't remember) and she did not like it at all - this was not helped by the fact that her friend had also come to this conclusion only after about 6 months after buying the car new - so that engine was not going to be part of the equation when she bought her next car. Incidentaly, her friend chopped the Polo 1.4 TDI against a new Golf 1.6 and was very happy having done that. Each to their own though I suppose - I still have not written off petrol engines yet - a reasonably sized one always seems to give me the driving "experience" I expect. I had a "top of the range" new Passat 2.0TDI as a loan car about a year ago - that was not a good experience, in fact I deliberately chose, after a few drives, to use the bus if possible.

ibiza_adam

Jun 25, 2009
If you have the window down whilst driving, put your foot down in say 3rd and listen the see if you can hear any kind of ticking?!?! I think it's quite common that the individual coils can deteriate quite quickly. Might not be that but something to look out for. When was it last serviced? I have always found an old set of plugs can cause a lazy engine, if not a miss fire...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Funny you should say that. I just checked mine and there is a ticking :confused:
You have made me paranoid now :lol:

I would expect your car's engine ECU to log any misfires - which would be happening if any of the coils were acring (the ticking). Any ticking that you will hear when demanding a lot of "effort" from the engine will probably be due to pinking which is just a combustion noise that should not happen - but it does - at least with my wife's car when cold - there is a pickup on the engine to catch that and retard the timimg long before you can hear the "ticking". I'd check/change the plugs - but keep using the NGK ones as VAG specify, then maybe clean the throttle body before performing "basic settings" on it - carrying out a throttle body basic settings might in itself improve things, but I'd think that what you have is all that is available.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
:
I would expect your car's engine ECU to log any misfires - which would be happening if any of the coils were acring (the ticking). Any ticking that you will hear when demanding a lot of "effort" from the engine will probably be due to pinking which is just a combustion noise that should not happen - but it does - at least with my wife's car when cold - there is a pickup on the engine to catch that and retard the timimg long before you can hear the "ticking". I'd check/change the plugs - but keep using the NGK ones as VAG specify, then maybe clean the throttle body before performing "basic settings" on it - carrying out a throttle body basic settings might in itself improve things, but I'd think that what you have is all that is available.

:) funny you should write this about the ticking, the mrs car seems to be getting louder,on start up (ticking) then gets fainter as engine warms up. so what you saying could be wrong?? plugs???

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
:

:) funny you should write this about the ticking, the mrs car seems to be getting louder,on start up (ticking) then gets fainter as engine warms up. so what you saying could be wrong?? plugs???

Is it not the belts starting to make a bit of noise when cold is it? I've noticed that my wife's 2003MY 1.4 BBY engined Polo, at 62,000 miles is starting to make noises when cold, but it did get all its belts and idlers etc changed at 4.5 years old, so I hope its just the cooler weather making the belts a bit noiser. What mileage is your wife's car, I'm guessing its the 85PS formally known as FSI engine, that engine is still in production, my daughter has just bought a new Ibiza SC with it, but its lost its battery cover and engine cover, I suppose that is just penny pinching money saving on VAG's part. You will also get more injector noise now that its colder, also, does it get regular oil changes with good quality synthetic oil? I might need a few engine flushes to clean up the hydraulic tappet mechanism(s) as that area would cause cold start up noise like tapping.

Last edited: