1.2 Timing Chain DIY

joestella28

Aug 21, 2010
Mines a 53 plate, approaching 101k and I'm pretty sure the tensioner has never been touched - Needless to say I'm a little nervous.

Joe

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
What about the 05s and 55s? They almost certainly had the update.
Probably, but not guaranteed. There's every chance the cars could have been built and not been registered for a while. Hence why we see Mk1 Octavias about on 58 and 09 plates, despite production finishing in 2004.

Gwyn

OK so been having a fiddle around..

Opened up the timing cover and finally managed to locate where the engine speed sensor was (underneath the inlet manifold- which i removed) and went about setting the timing.

I checked it to start off with and ALL the tools fitted OK.

Decided to replace the tensioner and the guide rail while I was there, even though they looked OK. The chain and sprockets all look fine not particularly worn (they were replaced about 40k ago - so shouldn't be.)

Put it all back together again, checked the timing and......

Still the same fault (though possibly slightly better?..)

It has a lump in the idle at any engine speed and lacks power.

If anyone has any thoughts before it gets broken into a 1000 pieces?

Gwyn

and I would post a link to a video but I need a couple more posts before I can add a link.

joestella28

Aug 21, 2010
Did you manage to get any pics?

Have you considered coils?

If you do decide to break it, can I have first dibs on the front bumper? :D

Joe

it don't look as though it idles any lumpier than any other ive seen to be honest. but have you thought about coil pack/plugs/ is it some sort of sensor? it will be something silly that costs next to nothing to put right. if you end up braking it though im interested in the undertray & drivers side sunvisor. & maybe the front panel what the rad & headlights fasten to.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Right, I'd get a fault code read done before going any further. Do you have VCDS/VAG-COM? Could give the answer, if the car is reporting a misfire it will say which cylinder, so if you've got a spark plug or a coilpack going spare you could try it on the faulty cylinder and see if it sorts it?

Gwyn

hi all, thanks for comments. Yea I think the video makes it look better than it actually is! I know its a 3 cylinder but it certainly isn't right.

I didn't actually do the fault codes, but it has been read in two different places - both stating that it is timing.

I realise it could be something else such as a coil pack, but I have seen this car before with a failed coil pack before - and it certainly was a lots worse than this (i.e didn't start). It also could be a sensor somewhere - but surely the fault codes should have picked this up?

At the end of the day its a 140,000 car, even spending the odd £40 on coil packs / sensors seems is getting a little stretching... Not working I don't recon this car is worth anymore than £500.

Gwyn

I might do a compression check over the next few days as I think a mate has a tester.

In my mind it could be... Coil pack / Camshaft sensor / speed sensor / leaking injector / camshaft worn / cylinder head crack / head gasket / something bottom end...

ive never known a coil pack to go on these either but ive read on here & a couple of other forums that its quite a common fault. it wouldnt be a partially blocked fuel filter starving it would it? i know its a long shot but you never know

joestella28

Aug 21, 2010
Just had a thought, how does it start when up to temperature? I had the classic temp sensor fault and that made it run crap at idle not long after starting (baring in mind this was during the freezing December we had). Would start fine when properly cold but wouldn't start for love nor money after a 30 minute drive ad the idle was erratic.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Gwyn... do you reckon it would drive to Gatley?

Now that you've timed it up correctly etc, it may only need a fault code reset. I can do it with VCDS.

Had an experience with a friend's Vectra... was running like a bag of spanners, noisy, down on power, lumpy idle, engine management light on etc. Got it on some Vauxhall diagnostic software I have on my laptop, cleared all (six) fault codes in the ECU. Started it back up and it was absolutely spot on!

In the end it turns out the said friend had ran it low on oil, ECU went into limp mode (and rough running) to compensate. An oil change later and there's been no further problems.

Gwyn

Hi Guys

Blanco - it wouldn't have made it to Gatley after starting it up again it was really bad, had no power at all, but thanks for the offer.

Did a compression check and it all the cylinders where good. I was also quite surprised that it actually started and ran on only two cylinders! (in every combination) which in my mind rules out coil pack problems.

Decided that it was just going to be better to break the car, sisters bought a PD130 and just wants as much for this one as possible - and cars are always worth more in bits that whole!

After I started breaking it my sister remember that she had nearly run out of fuel just before it all happened and then filled up the tank. The idea about the partially blocked fuel filter could well be correct - but too late now!

Soo if anyone wants any bits from a 1.2 let me know - everything is going and not after silly prices.

You can email me at [email protected] but i'll also check back here.

Smithy do you want to email me? So we don't clog up this thread.

detso

Sorry about this guys I'm a newbie so please don't hurt me lol. Rayner where did u get you chain done as my main dealer quoted me 475 to carry out the chain work

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.