1.4 Ehybrid strange noise on start up

Dec 21, 2023
Hi all. First time posting anything. I’m looking to get some some help. I bought a 2021 1.4 Ehybrid Leon at the end of November. Straight away I noticed a strange noise when petrol engine starts (everything seems fine when running on electric). The noise lasts for a few minutes then I will go away. It also seems to be coming from the right hand side of the engine

I took back to SERE. After a few attempts they told me the noise was the water pump and replaced it . Still made the noise so they took it back in to “investigate”. They installed a software update and decided that the noise was normal.

I brought the car to Cupra on the Boucher road. They installed another software update and is going back in to investigate.

apologies for the long post. I’ve attached a couple of clips of the noise to see if anybody has had any similar issues or may have any idea what it could be.

Many thanks,
Michael

Jun 20, 2023
I’ve got the PHEV also, and yours doesn’t sound any different to mine. It seems the 1.4s are very “rattley” when cold, and like the 0W20 oil doesn’t help that either being so thin.

I’ve mentioned it to my local dealer, and they’ve informed me that it is normal and there’s nothing to worry about.

I have noticed that with E5 fuel (I’ve been using Texaco’s premium), the engine is slightly less rattley altogether, and there is a small increase in economy. Maybe try that for a few weeks, and see what your results are.

neilargyle

Jun 12, 2018
Mine’s the same, Cupra Leon but effectively the same drive train. Noisy in the cold when the ICE takes over, still makes creaks and groans under electric power at times. Not as weird as some of my colleagues Kia Sportage PHEVs noises.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.