1/4 mile performance figures for TDIs

martycupratdi

Sep 2, 2004
Kinross, Tayside
Hi all,

There are lots of posts giving bhp/torque figures, all relating to measurements made on a rolling road, and some of these show significant gains on the standard production figures.
This is all very well and good, but I would like to find out what these gains equate to with regard to 1/4 mile track times.
Could I ask some of you who have modified diesels to post up some 1/4 mile times that you have achieved, along with the bhp/torque figures for your car.
I am taking a baseline 1/4 mile time of 14 seconds, which is a figure which has been achieved by our fellow petrol cupra owners, and also readily achieved by moderately modified Subaru Imprezas.
I realise that the Subaru has the advantage 4wheel drive, but unfortunately Seat cannot help us out with at present.

Thanks

Martin

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
How are you getting a "baseline" of 14 seconds? Do you mean this is your time as standard?

At the pod I always struggled with grip off the line and quite likely I also don't really know the best way to launch my car. So my best time is a 15.0821 @ 95.94mph. And this is having done a dyno run of 259.4bhp and 370 lb/ft.

Bring on 2008 santa pod I say!

martycupratdi

Sep 2, 2004
Kinross, Tayside
Thanks Jason,

I just selected 14s as an arbitrary time which seemed to be a resonable time to reach, given that many fairly standard production cars seem capable of executing a 1/4 mile in under 17 seconds.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Remapped Cupra TDI's get 15 dead if driven properly. Anything quicker and you will have to run with alot of mods, and super sticky tyres. Or possibly a 2nd gear launch... if your brave enough.

martycupratdi

Sep 2, 2004
Kinross, Tayside
Thanks for that vid drift.
I'm in a real quandry now, cause it's getting near time to replace my leon cupra, but too many choices, keeping with diesel and going for a new shape Leon, or moving to the lighter Ibiza, or Fabia like Devonutopia.
I'm currently hooked on the (and I know I'll be damned ) Impreza WRX cause it has so much power available and has 4 wheel drive, but that would mean throwing in the Diesel towel, and I'm not sure if I want to do that yet.
Devonmikeyboy has also given me plenty food for thought with his Nos/propane/ larger turbo'd A3 too!

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Running cost would be huge on the WRX compared to the ibiza, so I assume you dont do loads of miles.

1/4 miles are rubbish for TDI's anyways... 1st gear tops out at 26 ish MPH, and you cant get half the power down with out lighting up.

If its an older WRX your looking at, I wouldnt be supprised if the Ibiza was quicker.

T. Spark

I'd have to disagree with all the above!

I have a dyno print out of 170.9bhp and 296lb/ft whilst I ran my car down at Santa Pod earlier this year (april vw fest)

I managed a 15.2 with nothing more than a remap for power, a phase one at that.

Oh and that was my slowest run for the day :)

My best run was a 14.73 with a 1st gear launch, whilst my 2nd best time was a 2nd gear launch with a time of 14.78. The other ten or so runs where all between 14.8 and 14.9.

I own a Seat Ibiza FR TDi which at the time had a phase one remap for performance.

I have some pictures, which I have tried to link to put due to being at work wont let use the sites needed! Will update soon :)

Last edited by a moderator:

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
To get below 15 flat in "just" a remapped FR must be down to driving style more than the actual car's performance? Someone has probably just sused the best way to drive the 1/4. :D

Me? Well, I need to practise more I guess. Having only done 2 trips to the Pod before, and the first one I blew a CV joint to bits, so I can't really count that. :D

2008 should be fun as I'll have the ported head and manifold, race injectors, and the new 6 speed box with the Peloquin in. Other mods like stiffer dogbone mount and cupra bushes should help in getting the power down.

T. Spark

To get below 15 flat in "just" a remapped FR must be down to driving style more than the actual car's performance? Someone has probably just sused the best way to drive the 1/4. :D

Im not going to blow my own trumpet and say I can drive the car to its max performance, as I think we worked out that would, with no grip loss, headwind etc be a 14.55 for the weight of the car, so I was .17 off what I could have achieved.

I would say it does help if you get a good start, and down to gear changing etc as it always will be. But at the end of the dya, if the car isnt able to do it, it wont do it! So "just" a remapped diesel PD130 can imho easily hit sub 15 second 1/4 times :)

You will have more to fight with, with 90bhp more and 80lb/ft meaning you cant just "boot" it as much as I was able, if we take it to a track where, ingear and pulling power matter, rather than good starts and grip to start then I have no doubt your power would provide you a easy win matey.

Of course, until I get some Allards treatment + lim. slip. diff. and then we should be on even ground :)

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
T.Spark are you deffinatly going to allards now???

Devon how much difference did having the head polished and ported make as i'm going to het this done in the next few weeks along with a massive fmic and uprated injectors.

I ran a 15.042 with my car running 176 bhp and 314 lb/ft that was with spare wheel and seats all in. I did run a 15 flat again with my big turbo but largely due to the fact the engine fell out half way down the track lol The thing is with my car is up santapod if i was just to go at it guns blazing i would wheelspin right through 3rd gear think it has alot to do with throttle control and self control sometimes i just get caught in the moment and just smack my foot right down lol doesn't help. will be up santapod 4 times in jan and feb 2008 so should hopefuly run some good times will strip the car aswell!!

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Funny reading this, got a 15.4 using a G-Meter (U.S thing for 1/4 miles etc) on a fairly straight road in mine, will try santa pod sometime.

TDI 130pd's usually get 16.5 sec 1/4 miles standard.

T. Spark

That shows how bad my driving must be. You've got a time a third of a second faster than me, yet 2mph slower ET speed. Odd.

Depends what power he is running really! lol

Your right, terminal speed seems very low for such a good time in a PD130 Sport the gearbox is different to say my FR TDi and 05 plate onwards vRS's depending on the power running, he might not have to change gear out of 3rd? That will mean once less gear change to make, meaning quicker 1/4 time :)

T. Spark

ooh... 90mph in 3rd :think:

Goes to try it... :lol:

Must be 4th then! lol, tbh matey, my car has seen those speeds in sooo long I forget what gears can do what speeds at high rpm, as mine doesnt see over 3,000rpm!

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
sooty did you strip the car out for that time??

when i was up santapod a couple of weeks ago there was a guy with an integra type r turbo running low 15's with a terminal speed of 125 spoke to him he said he couldn't floor it the whole way down or it spins the wheels up

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.