1.4 TSI Act cambelt nightmare

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Unfortunately, they're going to have your car and lots of time to come up with an explanation that involves it not being their fault! :0(

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think that would be better but the car is going to the garage who did the belt. It's an awkward situation.

I read an old thread on a Ford forum a while ago that really made me mad. A young guy had his car serviced at a Ford dealer. Engine destroyed itself immediately afterwards. The car was taken back to the garage and they spun him a story about the failure of some part or other causing oil loss. Poor kid was left with a huge bill.

From his description of what happened it was obvious that they had forgotten to put the damn oil in during the service. I've heard so many stories of garages doing damage then wriggling out of it. I really feel for you and hope you get a better resolution here.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Aww no, that is pants. I have had a couple of EA211 engines weeping oil from the blanking plug where the crankshaft locking pin fits, both of these had had timing belt replacements fairly recently as well. For reference, it's at the back of the engine, low down on the offside. Hope you get sorted, as already mentioned, might be worth getting an independent viewpoint.

Reactions: FRoSTy

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I have had a couple of EA211 engines weeping oil from the blanking plug where the crankshaft locking pin fits, both of these had had timing belt replacements fairly recently as well.

I bet that's what it is! They've not sealed that plug in properly, or forgotten to fit it altogether.

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
So original garage has taken a brief look. Confirmed cambelt intact, not slipped. No oil remaining in engine. And loss of oil on gearbox side. No initial sign of rod damage, but need to remove gearbox to inspect further.

Not accepted liability yet.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
The oil pressure switch is near the oil pump. If all the oil is falling out after that point, it won't be detected until there's a significant oil loss. It would have to be a pretty sudden loss and engine cut-out not to show a pressure warning at all though.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Bloody hell, what a nightmare. Garages just are not what they were.

Hope they take responsibility mate and cough up.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
I've just been reading through this whole thread and got to where you mentioned, the garage had eventually done the job and you had your car back, I was thinking great they've done it you're all sorted.

Sorry to hear what's happened now ?

Possibly could be gearbox but just seems a huge coincidence that they've only just replaced the cam belt, and you lose power/drive down the road.

Hope you get your car back soon and in one piece.

Si

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
Back from holiday today in one of Enterprise's finest Insignias. Here's your Friday evening update on my engine damage.

Today I learned what a Gudgeon Pin is. Mine is stuck in the engine block (shiny bit on second picture). Bits of rod excited from many points, mostly via sump, but some nice chunks from elsewhere Good news, erm... Head ok. Gearbox ok. So "just" new engine block and sump needed...

No cause known yet.

Hmm.

Attachments

• PXL_20201023_150436764.jpg
    PXL_20201023_150436764.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Screenshot_20201023-165808.png
    Screenshot_20201023-165808.png
    917.4 KB · Views: 350
  • PXL_20201023_145522258.jpg
    PXL_20201023_145522258.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: TomsLeon

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Well, that's certainly an impressive failure!!

Very interested to know what caused it. Haven't seen a snapped rod for a while myself!

Incorrect timing could have put excess strain on the rod (igniting while the piston is still on the way up) but you should have noticed a lack of power, and an annoying noise, if that was the case.

The oil loss may have been a red herring and only come out of the holes after the rod snapped. Airflow around engine bays blows it in weird places.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
From the very first post the incorrect timing occurred during the cambelt change, before the car was ever returned - so it could have been horrific and enough to bend the rod or crack the pin, without the garage owning up to it.

I'd say you have enough coincidences to request they foot the entire bill or, at worst all the labor costs. You gave them a car that had done X thousand miles perfectly but 200 miles after they cocked the timing up it throws a rod and smashed the lower engine - which they have to take ownership for.

The small claims court would be my next discussion point with them, if they refuse to make an offer. It's quite a simple process and, if you are an RAC member, they will probably assist you.

Reactions: TomsLeon

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I also had a rod fail on a Peugeot 18 years ago, ended up having to replace the engine at my cost. Which is why I switched to Seat when I finally replaced the car. Hope things turn out better for you, at least you have a single garage to deal with my only option was going direct to Peugeot.

I’m no mechanical engineer but it doesn’t look like a lack of oil was the problem. The bearings on the crank seem in good condition, looks like the rod failed under load. That can happen when the rod has a fault during manufacturing (which was my problem) or if its been stressed – say for example by incorrect timing. Only the garage that did work would know how long the engine ran with incorrect timing while the problem was worked on.. Also if the timing was correct or just close enough not to throw a fault code when it was returned to you.

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
Thanks for replies!

I'd agree it doesn't appear to be a lack of oil, damage limited to one cylinder and others seem to have no marking.

Timing is apparently still correct.

I've taken legal advice via RAC, and have approached an independent inspector, which I'll decide on soon.

I think I'm likely to be best to try and find a middle ground with the garage as proof will be difficult. Will know more next week.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
The sequence of events is unfortunately a familiar one. Problems with the initial install of the timing belt resulting in piston damage, most probably in the form of severe indentation or cracking, the piston is a fairly lightweight design and under load can easily fail and then the connecting rod and gudgeon pin become a metal flail causing damage like in your images. If I am seeing right is that the gudgeon pin I can see laid there? Where is the piston or the remains of it? As already mentioned I think you need to get some legal advice if you need to get tough. Bear in mind that the standard of proof in Civil cases is based on the balance of probabilities, and I think we are all on the same page with this one!

Reactions: Walone and mcspook
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.