1.4 TSI Act cambelt nightmare

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
One thing I don't quite get is why, according to the OP, there is no damage to the cylinder head or valves!

the gudgeon pin seemingly prevents the piston going any higher. Gudgeon pin is just visible stuck in the engine block on photo 2.

Lots of bits of piston ring have come out.

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
other remains...

Attachments

• PXL_20201023_150443920.jpg
    PXL_20201023_150443920.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 289
  • PXL_20201023_145403086.jpg
    PXL_20201023_145403086.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 277

mcspook

Feb 11, 2020
Like Rooster said, where is the piston? i think that the rod would bend under pressure and not break. If there is impact on the top of the piston it's more probable to be timing related but if so, the head and the valves would have some damage too. Also check that the parts are yours cause you never know :p that's why you need to be there when they open it. At my dealership they told me that they can scan the car and see the errors before failure. Maybe see the oil errors and understand better what happened.
I think that they started the engine with the wrong timing and hurt the engine.

Reactions: Walone

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Surely valve contact wouldn’t have done that to a piston? That’s either been overheated or put under a lot of stress. Anyone know if that engine has oil cooler pistons?

My guess would still be timing, the spark firing too early while it was still on the compression stoke. It wouldn’t need to be out by much since the piston would get hit a few hundred times a minute.

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
Was there ever a resolution to this. Did garage admit fault?

Thanks for the prompt!

I got my car back on Tuesday evening. New engine block and cam in, and strangely a new clutch plate. Head and other bits from my old engine.

Garage didn't accept that they had caused it, but didn't charge me anything to put it right. So no complaints on that. I'd lined up an independent inspection in case, but not needed.

If anyone here wrote off a blue 1.4tsi 3 door 2015 with around 65,000 miles on it, thanks, I've got most of your engine.

I had it running on the drive today, and listened hard to the engine. Slight ticking sound, not quite sure was there before. Garage suggested an oil change was needed once it had settled in.

I'm now pondering if to trade in and move on. Working from home at the moment so no need to make a hasty decision, but not sure I'll trust it for a while.

Reactions: Tonezz and Compo1

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Thanks for the prompt!

I got my car back on Tuesday evening. New engine block and cam in, and strangely a new clutch plate. Head and other bits from my old engine.

Garage didn't accept that they had caused it, but didn't charge me anything to put it right. So no complaints on that. I'd lined up an independent inspection in case, but not needed.

If anyone here wrote off a blue 1.4tsi 3 door 2015 with around 65,000 miles on it, thanks, I've got most of your engine.

I had it running on the drive today, and listened hard to the engine. Slight ticking sound, not quite sure was there before. Garage suggested an oil change was needed once it had settled in.

I'm now pondering if to trade in and move on. Working from home at the moment so no need to make a hasty decision, but not sure I'll trust it for a while.

Yes, swiftly moving on would be pretty high on my agenda I think. :happy:

I did similar when one of my old cars got crashed into.

Front 1/4 got hit and needed all new parts, all the airbags popped, but it was just repaired. The repairers didn't do the electrics right so it went back twice and then I said bye bye to it!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members