1.5 etsi DSG high revving / slow to change up?

Sep 19, 2022
Hi all,

I have a Leon 1.5 etsi DSG mild hybrid. One thing I've noticed is that the car seems to hold on to the gears and sometimes be a bit slow to change up? Especially at town speeds. Almost like it is in sport mode, even when it isn't? Also, the revs rise a lot when you're going downhill and when braking, especially when the engine cuts back in after coasting in mild hybrid mode. I guess this is all relative - I'm comparing this to my old car which was a 1.0 tsi. It does surprise me though, being a larger engine.

One other thing - I know other people have commented on this, but the car seems to run away with you as you brake? All feels normal until about 5-10mph when it feels like the brakes 'release.' I'm told this is the mild hybrid tech.

Just wondering if any other owners have noticed anything similar. Thanks.

FrankMACostaa

Jun 10, 2022
I have the same "issue" on my 1.5 eTSI DSG. More when going downhill on slow speeds. The revs rise a lot, and the gear won't change at the usual speed.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
The issue with the revs increasing a lot when you go downhill is intentional. It's called 'downhill assistant' and will keep the engine in a lower gear to help you control your speed. Only works as low as 3rd gear though.

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Mine has the issue of not changing down in manual mode from 3rd to 2nd straight away and takes a few seconds for it to down shift even at 3000 rpm so i know its not the ecu stopping me doing stupid high rev down shifts. The gap is so long that you think you have not clicked the down paddles so click it again then it changes into 1st. My wife's 1.5 dsg tarraco just down shifts straight away.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The issue with the revs increasing a lot when you go downhill is intentional. It's called 'downhill assistant' and will keep the engine in a lower gear to help you control your speed. Only works as low as 3rd gear though.
Also worth mentioning that although the revs are high, the engine is using ZERO fuel in this downhill overrun situation.

Reactions: C_ED_99
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.