1.5TSI oil consumption?

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
Hi,

My FR 1.5TSI MT seems to drink some oil, at rate somewhat like 1 liter per 10000km. It is now around 7k on the clock and less than a half dipstick "norm" is remaining. Should I start worrying or it's quite normal. I do mostly motorway driving.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
1.5 TSI rather new.
I suppose this engine is filled with LL4 508.00 0W-20 oil. It means extra “thin” oil. I believe its very low consumption considered the thin oil spec. No worries!

/Peter

Misho

Mar 21, 2019
45 000km, almost zero oil consumption. But I have switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20 immidiatelly. (At 2000km - new oil - new filters ...)

I am changing my oil in 10 000km intervals :).

Reactions: Rainman

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd just top up the oil back to the correct level and maybe this initial oil usage was due to the engine components "bedding" themselves in during the running in period from new - I am guessing that is what your supplying SEAT dealer service will say to you until you have found that it is an on going issue with oil usage.

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
45 000km, almost zero oil consumption. But I have switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20 immidiatelly. (At 2000km - new oil - new filters ...)

But what about warranty? I would really want to switch to 5w-30, but is it legal in terms of warranty? My concern is that if Seat will need to replace engine eventually (and I have 5 year warranty purchased), they probably will be extremely picky to find the reasons not to do that. And as this engine has no proper cylinder linings, with my type of usage of the car (just weekends, far from eco mode), probably it will end up like that. Burned oil leads to stuck rings, stuck rings - lead to cylinder wall scratches, damaged cylinder wall should lead to catastrophic results with this engine. So my goal is to have everything nice and clean as possible in terms of service history. Of course will try to go to the dealer for oil change soon, at around 7500, like I do with my cupra. But cupra is using 0w-40, not this water. Wish "FakeRacing" had normal engine like old cars have, but these days seem to be gone. Even this FR was really pain to find and buy, because they don't make them with engines anymore :(.

Misho

Mar 21, 2019
My manual clearly saying that I can use 2 VW types of oil. Easy... I am not worried about warranty. And i am chaning oil myself, with original parts ofcourse :). And i am going every year / 30 000km to Seat dealer.

I have NEW IBIZA 2017 (Bought in JAN / 2018)
https://www.seat.com/datamanual-manual/ibiza/my18_w45/en-uk/IBIZA_11_17_EN.pdf

Page 59 saying: Petrol engines with Flexible Service Intervals (LongLife) 1.0l / 1.5l VW 508 00 VW 504 00 b)
b) Use of engine oil compliant with the VW 504 00 specification instead of VW 508 00 may have a slight negative effect on the vehicle’s exhaust gas values.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Few days after reading this thread I got a low oil warning on the dash of my 1.5 TSI Ibiza.

Luckily I had a litre of VW 504/507 oil in the boot that Seat gave me when I bought the car. I didn't think using VW 508 oil was important in the Ibiza as it doesn't have the GPF filter like other VAG cars with the 1.5 TSI ?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that your only reason with sticking with VW engine oil spec 508 is to retain the possible capabilities of achieving the quoted MPG and emissions - if that is not what you really constantly spend time worrying about then engine oil rated as being VW 504 compliant is okay and okay by VW Group, and maybe better long term for the engine and your pocket. Don't worry about the 507 spec being included as it is only aimed at diesel engines and typically comes as a "free add on" with most quality 504 spec engine oils.

Rainman

Sep 25, 2018

That's what i did also ....using the 5w-30 since day one....changed the oil at 1500km and since then using 5w-30 with no issues at all in regards to oil consumption...

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
Thanks! Will try to discuss this with dealer.
Few days after reading this thread I got a low oil warning on the dash of my 1.5 TSI Ibiza.

Luckily I had a litre of VW 504/507 oil in the boot that Seat gave me when I bought the car. I didn't think using VW 508 oil was important in the Ibiza as it doesn't have the GPF filter like other VAG cars with the 1.5 TSI ?

Interesting. I thought my "fakeracing" has particle filter. Mine is 2019 MY.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Interesting. I thought my "fakeracing" has particle filter. Mine is 2019 MY.

Mine is a 2018 model, so it has the pre-WLTP 1.5 TSI engine and definitely doesn't have a GPF. I guess it's possible newer Ibiza have the GPF, they don't sell the 1.5 TSI Ibiza in the UK anymore.

Misho

Mar 21, 2019
Yep, the models made in 2017 to half of the year to 2018 are without GPF. later, all models with 1.5 TSI were made with GPF.

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
Don't want to create another thread. But it seems I have more and more questions about my "fakeracing" :(. Today, while working on Cupra, just out of curiosity, pulled top cover from FR's engine. Not pleasant surprise I would say - plugjectors instead of indirect injection rail :censored::
9h60lRs.jpg

Closeup pic:
bZc4Lwh.jpg

That actually brings oil burning and quality issue issue to another level. As far I understand - indirect injection rail was skipped to cut some corners on price. So happiness of nut shell blasting is waiting somewhere in the future. How often do you guys need to clean intake valves on your 1.5TSI?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yup, I spotted that on my daughter's 2019 Leon Cupra, a bit disappointing really.

Hopefully more a potential worry than an actual one, worse on NA GDI engines as the turbo on these engines should negate some of the breathing issues.

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
My Drive: Seat Ibiza evo 1.5

This subject interested me. As I am experiencing exactly the opposite. My car is nearly two years old, Low mileage only 8 grand on the clock.

It does not seem to use any oil at all??? Despite some people telling me modern cars do tend too from new. Due to the very thin oils and slacker tolerances in the design of the engine.

I have been using an oil that I have personally tried and trusted and tested for years. Castrol Magnatec fully synthetic start stop 5w-30. I never seem to need to top up. The level stays at max line on dip stick.

Engine seems to run very smooth on this oil. especially when warmed up. I do believe in very regular oil changes and the use of good quality branded filter. Also letting the engine get to its designed operating temp before subjecting it to load or high revs. Makes sense to let the different types of metal warm up and expand. I have never had any major engine issues with any of my cars by following this.

In complete contrast. I have a work college. Who moves off as soon as she turns the key. Seems to move off before the oil has had chance to pressurize the system, let alone warm up a bit. Giving the car lots of welly. Also puts the heater on first thing, which is bound to make the warm up process take longer. She has always had all sorts issues with her cars engines.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Seriously, I suggest that you move away from Magnatec as it will only be a VW 502 spec engine oil, there will be a suitable version of Edge 5W-30 that will be VW 504 which has far better wear and stability figures, I'm guessing that you fit oil filters from a company that makes them for VW Group, like Mann for instance.

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
Went to the dealer yesterday and they changed oil to 5w30 (VW504). Will see how consumption goes from there.

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
Went to the dealer yesterday and they changed oil to 5w30 (VW504). Will see how consumption goes from there.[/QUOTE

I recon you will see a significant difference. As. I have never been a fan of these very thin oils. A wider spectrum good quality branded multigrade is the way to go. As it strikes a balance from cold weather protection right up to hot summer stuck in traffic. 5w30 suits the British weather range perfectly. : )

My thought in this is very ying and yang, Everything in balance. Car manufactures are looking to get better fuel mileage which ever way they can. Very thin oils give less drag and resistance. However thicker oil cushions moving parts My Evo engine sounds much smother on 5w 30. Especially when cold. Car manufactures, it not in there interest to make your engine last for 2 hundred thou. As they want to flog you another car as soon as.

My dealer is already started phoning me trying to get me to upgrade my Ibiza. Despite me telling them this is my dream car. My bucket list was to go out build and spec a new car of my choice just once in my life. It took me 16 years of saving. My car is not quite 2 years old.
Also a point dealers have a conflict of interest. They do not want to pamper and service your car. As they want to flog you another one too.

I was very surprised when my Ibiza was delivered. It only had 4 miles delivery mileage. There was not a scratch chip or ding on it. from shipping. I had no issues what so ever, It has not had to go back to the dealer for a silly fix. Unlike British Leyland cars in the 70's A guy across the road where I used to live. Said his car in the first year had spent more time back at the dealership than on his drive. So weather I got a good one? Or it is a testament to Seats attention to detail quality control? Or customer satisfaction? Well I am not swapping I am sticking.

Be very interesting to know the outcome of your oil change. Of course it is going to take a bit of time to show the outcome. However please update the forum on this. As it is very valuable information to other owners. I do hope it works out for you. : )

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
Regarding valve cleaning. See what's inside Golf R intake just after 10k miles:

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
It seems to wait for 7k for first oil change was a mistake. Even when using 0w30, damn thing still consumes oil at similar rate than before. Noticed that I do most of mileage when rpms are around 3k (motorway driving) which may be different from the chaps who mostly drive DSG's in the city. Manual says, that if you drive at high rpm, it will consume more oil. Maybe that's why my car is suffering from this?

Oh well, if Seat will not go bankrupt, I hope that the engine will die withing warranty period :(. Yesterday drove the yellow one and orange one "head to head". Old car is so much more fun to drive and so much cheaper to maintain (if take value decrease of new one into account). However stopping in the middle of nowhere and waiting for tow truck for hours, is another story... But if I have possibility, I always drive yellow one and leave the orange in the garage :). And yes, 15 year old one is not burning oil.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise