1.6 looses performance when hot :(

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
Ive noticed when my 1.6 warms up it looses power :( when cold it pulls hard in fifth gear, but when it warms up it just struggles to accelerate. and in lower gears it doesnt build revs as quickley. Anyone know what my problem could be?? cheers.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I have no idea if this is related to your fault or not..........on my Ibiza the wires on the crankshaft position sensor went brittle and when the engine got hot it ran like a bag of crap.

Might not be related at all but thought I'd mention it.

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
Just had a look at my airfilter.. and it got a heatswitch which directs air eitehr from the manifold(for cold starts) or from the main air intake.. i thought this switch might be broken.. so i poored boiling water over the switch and it didnt move the gate which directs the air atall.. could this be the problem?? would boiling water activate the switch? thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You have an AUS engine, I presume.

The inlet regulating flap is self-contained, a sensor in the flap valve assembly itself regulates the action of the flap valve. I can't find any wiring diagrams showing a connection to the flap, so I'm guessing that it's not electrical - a bimetallic strip or something similar, measuring the temperature of the air in the flap valve housing.

Which sensor did you pour boiling water over? Was it the inlet air temperature sensor? That won't affect the temperature flap.

The flap should open the hot air inlet at 10°C and below, and shut the hot air inlet at 23°C and above.

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
Thanks for the very useful response :) its the azd engine though. Its a wax motor switch. so i poored water over that.. and im pretty sure its broken.. i locked the flap shut so cool air only goes into the engine.. now it pulls well even when the engine is warm.. and runs a lot better at high rpm:) ill try to find a new wax motor.. have you got any ideas where i could get one from? Thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Gotcha. AZD isn't listed in the Golf manual I use as a primary reference. Same injection system as AUS. I'd guess the wax device works by expansion and it's sprung a leak somewhere :)

Since locking the flap shut has cured the problem, that's a pretty positive diagnosis. you just need to get the bit replaced before the cold weather sets in.

Don't know if the flap motor bit is available on its own. You could try one of the dealers who correspond on the forum, like Sere motors, for a quote, or find a local GSF Car Parts shop.

Holdup

Aug 28, 2009
Kent
Hmm, i might look into mine as mines similar i think, 5th gear 60mph it just doesnt seem to pull whereas my astra used to pull quite when i did the same thing.

Holdup

Aug 28, 2009
Kent
Did you get yours fixed?

Just got round to checking mine, turns out the flap that opens and shuts is broken at the bit where it connects to the spring / valve w/e you want to call it so it looks like it was always shut any way, i have pallued it out now so its no longer in there and also removed the 2 restrictor thingys which should give it a bit more pull :p should i get that flap replaced or just leave it off?

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
well.. if you run it without the flap in the winter then this might lead to carburettor icing.. which might stop the engine from running completley. it probably is best to replace it. Im going to replace mine, but not really sure where to get the bits from, however i havnt chacked the dealers yet. What restrictor things are those?? i wouldnt mind removin those :p

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
well.. if you run it without the flap in the winter then this might lead to carburettor icing.. which might stop the engine from running completley. it probably is best to replace it. Im going to replace mine, but not really sure where to get the bits from, however i havnt chacked the dealers yet. What restrictor things are those?? i wouldnt mind removin those :p

Carburettor icing???

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
marcuswomersley wrote

well.. if you run it without the flap in the winter then this might lead to carburettor icing.. which might stop the engine from running completley.

Carb icing only affects engines with carburettors - the venturi in the carb causes a pressure drop (that's how carburettors work, drawing the petrol into the airstream) which cools the air, and the vapourising petrol cools it even further. Injection engines don't suffer from carb icing.

It's usually only aircraft engines that suffer from carb icing, although some motorcycles also do, apparantly.

Only a few of the Leon engines have intake preheating - the Simos systems in the single cam engines don't, and the Bosch systems on 1.8 and 2.0 engines don't either. These systems have a MAF sensor, and that may be a clue.

Intake preheating isn't going to work when the engine is cold (it draws air from around the exhaust manifold) so this isn't for starting or immediately afterwards. I'm guessing that the Marelli system doesn't cope well with low temperatures, and requires the air to be warmer for good clean running. Perhaps the cold running is only done by a crude form of auto-choke modification to the injection quantity.

If I'm right, the consequences of leaving the flap off will be poor running and excess fuel consumption when it gets cold outside.

Bear in mind, too, that removing the flap completely means that you have mixed hot and cold air all the time.

What restrictor things are those?? i wouldnt mind removin those :p

If there really are restrictors in the intake, they are there for a reason and it isn't to choke your engine. I'd leave well enough alone if it were me. And I'd replace the flap and actuator. The biggest restrictor in the inlet is the air filter in any case.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members