1.6 tdi dsg mpg!

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
Hi all,

Just recently picked up a 2020 1.6 dsg xcellence Lux with 26k on the clocks which is the same engine as our seat leon but that's a manual

In the leon we consistently get around 52 mpg but this ateca we are struggling to get mid 40's on a good day

This is with a mix of town and A roads!

I would have expected more than this!

What are others getting? And any known issues I need to look for?

I have vcds and nothing stand out on a scan but not dug any deeper at the moment

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
The DSG shouldn't make much of a difference. I don't go measuring my TDI 2.0 DSG but it's reasonable 45 or something. Keep it in normal drive... no sport for me or use of paddles.

Thats exactly how we drive this

I am going to service the car even though its only just been done by the seller I want to make sure its got the correct oil in and new filter I am also going to change the air filter too then keep an eye on it from there

If its still not improving then I will have to start logging with VCDS

reddamper

Jan 10, 2020
19 plate Xcellence. 1.6 tdi dsg. I have averaged 40 mpg for general driving around town and motorways over 4 years, 25k miles, 70 odd fill ups. I record every fill up to the brim in an app. Happy to share.
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stu_m

reddamper

Jan 10, 2020
I use the aCar app. In Ireland so metric. On a run I can get 55-58 mpg at 50- 60mph if I drive really carefully.

370c45ab6683ff815698e29dd59969bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Reactions: stu_m and Tell

Tell

Staff member
This is where you do your power to weight ratio and ofcourse aerodynamics comes in. I go for comfort of the SUV on backache. Cue the fluid dynamics people on the aerodynamics. Reckon it's "mu" viscosity μ. Been a while.

My old Uno ES had one of 0.3 I recall. The lower the μ less air resistance but increased back pain for those that need upright seating and not sitting out low with their legs out. High μ less pain μ.

Good μ but lousy comfort. Everyone to their own.

Bit more here:

Well I reckon μ is the drag coefficient but I must say I hated fluid mechanics at University.

20231113_130532.jpg

Probably a website with all the μ car figures published on - that one above brackets by type of car. When I use to have the Uno ES years ago I'd record all the petrol and mileage figures there was a summer / winter effect when plotted. A seasonal ripple effect. That would be the viscosity of the oil and power load of the lights etc. I put it down to oil viscosity.

It could be they have the wrong oil in it. It's the long life oil that has better viscosity that you need. I did have one incidents years ago again with the Uno where the garage put the wrong oil in it, treacle. It turned over very sluggish at start up. I don't think the VCDS tinklers on engine performance would touch a diesel engine. Probably isn't that. Going to be oil or failing that injectors or just the winter effect on the oil viscosity on a like for like comparison.

reddamper

Jan 10, 2020
As a comparison, this is my Ford focus 1.5 tdci same driving style, same journeys, over 25k miles. 53 mpg (focus) vs 40 mpg. (ateca)
71514b20e916a8bf0743d0e4c41ff4ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Reactions: stu_m and Tell

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Ah but no backache. It gets you in the end but I do note some quite old folk drive non SUVs. Not sure how they get away with it.
Depends how you define old. My wife & I are both 77 & have no trouble driving a Leon & a Fabia.

Although I might try one of the smaller SUVs for my next car in a couple of years time. Skoda Kamiq very similar in size (at least length) to my current Leon? Haven't checked its relative mpg.

Tell

Staff member
Depends how you define old. My wife & I are both 77 & have no trouble driving a Leon & a Fabia.

Although I might try one of the smaller SUVs for my next car in a couple of years time. Skoda Kamiq very similar in size (at least length) to my current Leon? Haven't checked its relative mpg.
I've always had back problems since mid 20s then sciatica struck later a nerve coming out of the back bone arrangement. Curse of tall people back problems so the only way to sit is deskchair posterior for long periods else you collapse in pain getting out. Why there is a range of Japanese upright cars you don't see outside Japan for the elderly.

The Kamiq is like the Arona same body, it's a bit of a fake SUV. Stands higher but the seats are still low so you don't get SUV seating. 60 minutes in an Arona and have trouble standing up (I do... uncomfortable seats). It's like all super minis in that respect. I use to have to roll out of the dealers Leon when they would give me a lift hope... "this will take a time". Moved from an Altea to Ateca. Altea being a people carrier body.

Basically for us people with back issues you need bucket seats so your back is not twigged cornering (been there with sciatica no fun as you shriek in pain on roundabouts) and upright desk chair seating. That's crosses out a lot of models. The Ateca has high seating although the seats were not as good as the Altea in bucket hugging. Suspect the Cupra Ateca is better on that one.

Probably in the lifecycle of drivers some can stick with low slung cars whilst others through medical conditions have to go up. Those with the medical conditions know when to do it.

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
Thought I would update on this!

It turns out someone had remapped the car before and by the looks of it a really bad remap too!

Had it put back to stock and now we are getting mid to high 40's around town and low to mid 50's on a run

Reactions: Tell
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.