1.8 TSI FR vs 2.0 TDI FR

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Hey, im looking at getting either a 1.8 TSI FR or a 2.0 TDI FR in the next month or 2.

Im just trying to work out which would be more cost beneficial to get. My work is only 8 miles away and 6 of these being motorway miles. I feel like I wont be driving enough miles to benefit from the diesel version so mayswell go petrol? I only drive around 9k a year what version would you guys go for? Guess the petrol is a no-brainer in this situation?

Cheers

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
For that mileage petrol all the way. Little mileage on a dpf equipped diesel is a recipe for trouble plus the mpg difference would be negligible so no real benefit in having a diesel.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yup... I've got the 2.0 TDI FR... (un)fortunately, I got a job closer to home. The short journeys have practically killed my car... I'm so on edge with it now, I drive 2 miles extra to get to work, 1 mile extra to get home. Don't dare miss a regen. Its just a nightmare... I'm looking at trading it for a petrol... but fancied a Mk2 Cupra R... but if I had the choice again, Diesel is a massive pain in the a$$. I'm never having another one!

Posted at the same time!
Little mileage on a dpf equipped diesel is a recipe for trouble.
Yup, I've only got 38k on the clock (problems started at 32k) and its cost me a fortune! I do about 7-8k a year!

Last edited:

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Just off the back of this. What would be the best option to increase the bhp of the tsi? DTUK petrol tuning box?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
For that mileage petrol all the way. Little mileage on a dpf equipped diesel is a recipe for trouble plus the mpg difference would be negligible so no real benefit in having a diesel.

^+1. I had a mk6 Golf GTD and my journey to work was 7 miles each way. At this time of year, it wasn't even fully warmed up at the end of my journey to/from work. I found that the fuel consumption on short journeys in the GTD - especially in winter - wasn't that good either.

With the short journeys you're doing and overall low annual mileage, definitely go for the petrol. I've got the VAG 1.8 TSI engine in my current car (2016 Polo GTI); I'm not certain if it's the same engine as the 1.8 in the petrol Leon FR but it's a great engine!

Last edited:

jamie-h

Jul 9, 2014
I have a Cupra coming in next 4 weeks so will be selling my 1.8tsi dsg Fr in your interested.
Its a 14 plate in Monsoon grey not sure on price I would just like to clear the finance on it which i think is about 11.5 to 12k havent even looking into getting rid yet as was unsure on delivery dates on new 1.
Definitely go for petrol though whatever you do, ive had deisels for years doing similar mileage to you and always had trouble. Havent had any with this its a great car thats why ive stayed with Seat and going for the Cupra :D

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
I went back to petrol 3 years ago after 8 years of driving various diesels, it was around the time that diesel was 5 or 6p dearer a litre and although my commute is 60 or so miles a day on A-roads, I bought a 1.2TSi Leon SE, which I replaced last year with the 1.4 EcoTSi I have now, it's quicker and yet does very nearly the same mpg as the 1.2

Another benefit ive noticed of petrol is the heater in the car seams to take a shorter time to warm up on colder morning.....

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.