1.8t experiences vs more modern engines

Nov 14, 2022
Hi,

New to posting on the forum but have been snooping around for some time now, I have a 1.8t auq which has been fairly modified n249 sai delete fmic, straight pipe although have been told is abit shoddy and will ideally need to be replaced and a map although I'm not to confident in how well it has been done but pulls well. As the 1.8t is quite a old engine now I was wondering what experiences people have had when driving against/with new tsi tfsi and modern petrol engines and how well they've kept up, coming from diesel engines the 1.8t which I initially was hesitant off has been an amazing car and engine so far. I want to see what experiences people have had as I'm looking to get more power out of the engine as soon as my funds allow me to. The engine is on 170k but was a way car for the first 4yrs as by first mot it had done 107k miles has a good bit of history too. Thanks in advance.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
I have driven a MK3 Leon TSI 1.4 DSG, and it was rapid as hell. Whilst the LCR / LC is a great car, the engine technology is already out of date, turbo lag etc. Nowadays they can get more efficiency and power out of small engines.
You can mod the Mk1 LCR all you want but it's just not as efficient as new engines which pack massive punch froma combination of engine and gearbox technology.
However, one thing is for sure the Mk1 LCR are rare as rocking horse excrement and look brilliant, unique and are different. Power aside it's a modern classic and as long as you hold that as value then there is no need to look elsewhere 😉

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I sometime drive an Audi A1 1.2 TSI (or TFSI, whatever the difference is?)
The smoothness and general feel isn't that different from our engines really. It's just the power out of a certain capacity and fuel economy that have moved on. It's only a 1.2 but feels like a 1.6 from yesteryear power wise.

You get a lot of wind noise on the motorway though, which surprised me. Our cars are much quieter! The steering on it is weird and rubbery as well.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
I sometime drive an Audi A1 1.2 TSI (or TFSI, whatever the difference is?)
The smoothness and general feel isn't that different from our engines really. It's just the power out of a certain capacity and fuel economy that have moved on. It's only a 1.2 but feels like a 1.6 from yesteryear power wise.

You get a lot of wind noise on the motorway though, which surprised me. Our cars are much quieter! The steering on it is weird and rubbery as well.
Well put

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
DSG gearbox with 7 speeds and duel clutches make the modern cars a lot quicker accelerating. With more speeds it's easier to keep the engine in it's power band, and that is partly what allows better response. That being said DSG bores the hell out of me! For me it's just like driving a glorified go kart, especially when you combine it with all the traction and stability controls! There's very little driver skill or involvment needed, you basically just steer and choose to 'Go' and 'Stop', the computers do everything else.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Yeah I'm not a fan of DSG either. Probably because I have to keep my left leg bent out of the way so I don't try to press the non-existent clutch pedal and slam the brake on. Presumably you'd quickly get used to it if you owned one.

When the time comes I'd be getting a manual Mk3 Cupra. Especially since my mate spent £2k on fixing his DSG box when it imploded.

Reactions: Nam-uk and mty12345

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah I'm not a fan of DSG either. Probably because I have to keep my left leg bent out of the way so I don't try to press the non-existent clutch pedal and slam the brake on. Presumably you'd quickly get used to it if you owned one.

When the time comes I'd be getting a manual Mk3 Cupra. Especially since my mate spent £2k on fixing his DSG box when it imploded
Lol, yh i only drove one for a few hundreds miles as hire car while on holiday, but i was the same. I hate reversing without a proper clutch too, especially if it's a really tight space. Again, i like to decide how fast i'm creeping back, not the computer.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.

When the time comes I'd be getting a manual Mk3 Cupra. Especially since my mate spent £2k on fixing his DSG box when it imploded.
that's one thing people miss out on saying when they say how good certain cars are , what they fail to mention is on repairs they have too sell a kidney too get them back on the road

Reactions: Alexis27

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
that's one thing people miss out on saying when they say how good certain cars are , what they fail to mention is on repairs they have too sell a kidney too get them back on the road
100% agree. If anyone thinks the electronics are complicated in our cars, they are nothing compared to modern cars! Some cars have over 50 different control modules.

Reactions: Nam-uk and Alexis27

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Our little 1.8 holds its own against the modern Cupras as long as you spend a fortune!
Mine is same pace as a Cupra 300 ST! As tested on track n road.
a86848a9c8aa85cce4d0354c4168cc4c.jpg

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: Nam-uk and Jay20VT

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
A more modern turbo can certainly transform the drive, but thats kinda the issue with the 1.8T.

You've gotta spend a fair chunk of money to make that happen, there aren't many cheap upgrade options.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
A more modern turbo can certainly transform the drive, but thats kinda the issue with the 1.8T.

You've gotta spend a fair chunk of money to make that happen, there aren't many cheap upgrade options.

Yup.
Very expensive to add power.
Although I’m still on a stock KO4.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
I'm getting standard cars whizz past me in my unmodified LCR on motorways.. its mad lol
As said bud Badger5 oversize tip, and while ur there a green cotton or pipercross performance air filter. This is how stage 2 will start lol, completely different car then though.

Reactions: Jay20VT
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.