1.8T keeps blowing oil filters!

Feb 21, 2020
So where do I start!.. I've been chasing emission problems with my leon to get it through the MOT by completely replacing my pcv piping and replacing exhaust gaskets and welding up minor exhaust leaks etc... so it was still struggling marginly so I did an oil change and BOOM! First start after the oil change oil pissing out everywhere within seconds.. so I shut it off and seen it was coming from the oil filter (brand was Drive+ from GSF Car Parts) so I instantly changed it with another filter ( a Crosland filter from Euro Car Parts) in which straight away it stopped leaking and was was able to take it for an MOT inwhich it now passed the emissions and is on the road... however .. on way way to work yesterday the crosland filter let go a chucked all my oil out while driving... I checked the surface of oil cooler and looks fine .. checked the 27mm nut to see it is loose and it was tight!! I am not overtighten the filter as I have done several oil changes on this car and never had this problem... is it these cheap filters??? I have chucked on another crosland filter on to get it home and haven't started it since... I have a MANN filter waiting to go on... I would like to add that all of these oil filters seem to all look different on the filter oil outlet ports (picture shows original filter before oil change [bottom] and drive+ filter[top] first one to fail. ).. but the filters are bought by registration being checked.. getting really annoyed with chucking in oil in the bloody thing

Attachments

• 20221012_120455.jpg
    20221012_120455.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 113

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If it happens again the maybe you have some sort of blockage in the system causing the pressure to get too high

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Don't use engine flush on these engines. They create blockages instead of preventing them.

MANN filters work perfectly, guaranteed.

I'd take the sump off and check the oil pickup.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Is the male thread on the block knackered.

I would start with a decent filter [not crosland]

Feb 21, 2020
I need to drop the sump soon anyways as I need a new one, I will also replace the pickup at the same time, gunna fit a Mann Filter at the same time and I'll let you know how I get on.

Reactions: mty12345

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
That's like back presser at my old company van years ago i had blow the oil filler cap off mad must of cleared it as it never happened again lol, I've been using Bosch Oil Filters for a while since coming from OEM one which was a a Bosch that vw supplied, on side of Bosch filter box there is 4 part numbers for different filters and one of them is the Mann Filter, only use them engine flush's worse case i did on mine when i got it only due to phoning different seat garages on service history wasn't 100% still a gamble even if that, not done it since

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
So where the arrow is loacted on this pic, is it normal for oil to drip from behind the nut? Doesnt seem normal to me however mine is doing that... just wondering if i damaged something taking filter off as the last person to do it ripped it up so f£%king tight

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019-211618_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-211618_Chrome.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 92
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.