1.8T timing.. Strange goings on..

UK225

Hi guys,

I am really hoping one of you may be able to offer me some insight into a problem that I have.

I have a BAM engine that is exhibiting some very strange timing pull, the retard is happening at below 3000 rpm, I am seeing up to 11.3 deg of retard yet the engine is not pinging whatsoever.

Higher up the rev range its fine only pulling about 6 deg at 6000 +

My fuelling is spot on, intake temps fine, in fact everything is fine except for the low rpm retard, the car still feels very quick but I guess it must be costing me some low down power.

The only suggestion that has come up so far is whether the knock sensors could be picking up harmonics caused by my single piece lightened flywheel/pulleys, indeed there is a lot of vibration at lower revs.

Has anyone ever heard of this before ?

I would really like to get to the bottom of it, but preferably without the expense of removing the flywheel to see if it cures it.

Thanks in advance.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Have you checked the knock sensor voltage (block 026)?
I was told that up to 20volts was fine, anybody confirm this?

Who's map are you using?

UK225

Yeah the sensor is saturating when the retard is happening, but its not audibly pinging.

Over 10 deg I have been led to believe is getting audible & the engine may exhibit some shuddering neither of which I have.

Its running a bespoke AmD map that I had to twist there arm a bit to do for me, holds boost quite high but this is not the problem as it wasnt retarding like this in the six months after mapping, & indeed the fact I only pull 6-7 deg max approaching the red line would say to me that the advance is just about spot on.

Intake temps are fine I have FMIC/water spray/phenolic intake spacer which all helps keep them under control although I do see some very high EGTs when ragging it up 950 deg C.

Overall the car is making good power last dyno produced 294 bhp & 320 torque with a curve to die for not bad for a stock K04 !!

But this retard is really bugging me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I think you have answered your own question.

the lightweight parts fitted have put the motor out of balance if they have caused resonance @ low rpms like you describe. (if I read it right)

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Can anyone confirm that anything under 20v is acceptable?
What is the output range of the knock sensors used on the 1.8T? I'm seeing max of 20.5 on the first then max 15-17's on the rest

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Currently running timing 6 which is why im asking. About to go and log block 020 and see what it comes up with but they showed fine when having a look about 2 weeks back. Nothing higher than 3!
That isnt block 20 btw, that is 26 showing the output voltages of the knock sensors.
Just thought i'd ask the question on the knock sensor voltages as it seemed to deviate quite a bit.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.