1.9 TDI clutch shudder

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Hi Guys,

Got a slight problem. When the car is cold, the clutch seems to shudder even in reverse during the transition. As it warms up this seems to get better. It also seems to happen at low revs if I give a bit of go go juice. Anybody had this, and managed to get it sorted? On first impressions, I feel it may be the fly wheel, but unsure. Any input would be great.

Last edited:

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) is prone to failure and exibits the symptoms you describe, It's due to one of the weights on the flywheel which usually slides to the outer rim of the DMF sticking causing an inbalance in the DMF. Get your dealer to have a look as it has been a problem across the whole range of VAG TDI's.

hairyhame

Yet again this site comes up trumps. I too have started to get the juddery clutch first thing in the morning. I just put it down to it being cold as the problem disappears as everything warms up. I am due a service shortly so will definately get them to have a look at it, especially if it is a possible fault and not merely a quirk!

Thanks guys!

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
The 3rd year warrenty covers everything as in the 1st and 2nd year but any claim must be with a UK dealer and under 60k miles. On the continent SEAT warrenty is for only 2 years it is SEAT UK that extends the cover to 3 years for any SEAT car purchased through their UK dealer network.

fishpie

i had the same problem and even though the car was a month out of warrantee the dealer managed to get SEAT to swap the Flywheel. unfortunately the shudder seems to be on the way back. Its the only issue I have with another wise fantastic car.