1000rpm DPF regen, first time ever seen.. due to fuel change?

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Hi folks,

yesterday, for the first time ever since ive had my FR TDI (18 months, 21k miles with me, 5k when bought) the engine idle was up near 1000rpm and it really sounded rough!

There were no warning lights, however im sure this is a regeneration of the DPF taking place.

Ive had a fair driving mix, in town commuting each day, 300 motorway miles most months etc etc.

The last 3-4 tanks for fuel have been standard fuel, ie. not shell V-power which i had been using for most of the time i had the car. Ive been filling from shell, Sainsburys and Morrisons just for cost reasons.

This is the only change there has been to my driving... i find it a strange coincidence that after around 200L of non-premium fuel, i get a DPF regen happening.

the RPM has now returned to normal.

Anybody else had the same/similar?

Stuart

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
The question is I suppose was the £20 fuel saving worth it...............

Thankfully I have a petrol engine and do many short trips

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
If it is the cheaper fuel then it's not. At prices in my area, premium v-power would cost me just over £4 more per tank which isn't really worth it if it costs me a trip to the garrage!

Marino

Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham
With VPower being a cleaner burning fuel, i'd say so. One of the main reasons for me using it is so I don't piss off the DPF.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Simple answer - Yes..
Every-time I fill up non v-power I can get dpf regen (1,000 rpm) after about 100 miles of use (abuse ;) )

Its the same when i go back to V-power about 100 miles odd later - 1,000 rpm idle.

Does no harm, it does its thing and then no further issue.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Hi folks,

yesterday, for the first time ever since ive had my FR TDI (18 months, 21k miles with me, 5k when bought) the engine idle was up near 1000rpm and it really sounded rough!

There were no warning lights, however im sure this is a regeneration of the DPF taking place.

Ive had a fair driving mix, in town commuting each day, 300 motorway miles most months etc etc.

The last 3-4 tanks for fuel have been standard fuel, ie. not shell V-power which i had been using for most of the time i had the car. Ive been filling from shell, Sainsburys and Morrisons just for cost reasons.

This is the only change there has been to my driving... i find it a strange coincidence that after around 200L of non-premium fuel, i get a DPF regen happening.

the RPM has now returned to normal.

Anybody else had the same/similar?

Stuart

Just use regular supermarket Diesel & some Millers, iv'e done 30k+ in mine and only had 1 regen in all that time.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
DPF regens about every other tank, which is about normal I believe

I know its a "normal" function, but ive never had it before, only since putting cheaper fuel in.

Got 3/4 of a tank of Morrisons basic to burn before im back to premium i think!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.