130 tdi..boost question

.Si.

Feb 14, 2012
sunny essex
fitted a boost gauge to my 130 tdi sport..and my question is.

as standard..apart from a fmic,and egr delete fitted....what should the boost peak at?

Last edited:

.Si.

Feb 14, 2012
sunny essex
I fitted a 1.5 bar boost gauge ..thinking that would be fine..but when I plant the right foot it goes right past the 1.5 and keeps going..mind you its a cheap gauge anyway.

whats a good accurate gauge?

I take it diesel engines run higher boost pressures to say standard petrol engine cars?

Mar 19, 2010
Ye my mate couldnt believe how much boost mine was stock , I use a mechanical auto gauge one. its very accurate. payed 20 quid for it on ebay

Last edited:

.Si.

Feb 14, 2012
sunny essex
got a link to the ebay one..ive been on there and I cant decide which to get.

least I now know to get a higher psi one..lol

Mar 19, 2010
Here
sebeju5a.jpg

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh diesels do boost higher.

Mines Past 35psi haha

I'm waiting for the bang lol, that's way to high! I think I read about 26 or so was a safe level on the 130's.

The thing is too that diesels don't need super high boost to make good power, it's all in the fuel delivery, the boost is just to clean up the burn and reduce smoke. I'm over 130 and only at 18psi max without smoke and there's still ore power to get too, just need my injectors reset to higher pressures first seeing as it's not a PD.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Mine's completely bone stock, and I use the torque pro app, which reads data straight off the OBDII port, and that boosts to 24psi peak, so 26 sounds a bit low for an absolute maximum!

Mar 25, 2009
bath
I'm waiting for the bang lol, that's way to high! I think I read about 26 or so was a safe level on the 130's.

The thing is too that diesels don't need super high boost to make good power, it's all in the fuel delivery, the boost is just to clean up the burn and reduce smoke. I'm over 130 and only at 18psi max without smoke and there's still ore power to get too, just need my injectors reset to higher pressures first seeing as it's not a PD.

it is 280bhp mind....

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Mine's completely bone stock, and I use the torque pro app, which reads data straight off the OBDII port, and that boosts to 24psi peak, so 26 sounds a bit low for an absolute maximum!

I'm talking about sustained, where's yours sustained on a hard run for instance?

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still learning and it's just what I've read.

it is 280bhp mind....

WTF?!! When are you coming up this way so I can have a shot? :D

The power to weight ratio must be great fun in that thing, mind you that's if you can get the power down.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
I'm talking about sustained, where's yours sustained on a hard run for instance?

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still learning and it's just what I've read.

WTF?!! When are you coming up this way so I can have a shot? :D

The power to weight ratio must be great fun in that thing, mind you that's if you can get the power down.

Will give it a blat on the way to work tomorrow and let you know! Think it holds around 18 though.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Stock Boost on a PD130 should hold max 1350 mBar / 19.6 PSI may spike higher but should settle, thats what the ECU requests...

Remapped boost shouldn't hold much more than 1500-1550 mBar / 21.75 - 22.5 PSI on a stock turbo else your likely to have a problem, even then the chocolate like turbos can die

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.